Silicone Sealant on Exhaust Joints

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nickh89GTi, Feb 3, 2009.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi guys,

What is the best clear silicone sealant to use on exhaust joints?

Thanks

Nick

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Any? I've used it before and it does a good job, stinks a bit though.

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

So will any stuff from b&q be ok? What sort of temp range do i need it to go up to or do i just get the highest i can?

Thanks for your reply.

Nick

4. GVK

No idea on the heat range , if you've got to go to b+q to buy some you could buy some proper exhaust assembly paste?

5. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Where do you buy your stuff from? Will order online if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Nick

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i just used whatever my dad had in his cardboard box of random bit. it worked a treat and really suprisingly hasnt melted and dripped out everywhere

7. GVK

I just used whatever they had at work, never actually bought any. [:$]

Sure the b+q stuff will be fine.

8. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I will take a trip down to the local builders merchant first see if they have anything half decent before going to B&Q.

Thanks for your replies GVK & Matt82

Nick

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i had been trying to sort my exhaust without any sort of paste and the thing wuold never stay straigtht, i was too gippo to put any paste in there at all

i gave it one try with silicon adn it has been perfect since so was worth it for me

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Interesting - why use silicon? Is it easier to get it apart again?

I always use the bog standard exhaust paste, which is fine if the exhaust fits together properly.

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

As exhaust paste heats up and hardens it can sometimes crack causing leaks in the system. Apparently this doesn't happen with silicone [:s] so i am going to give it a try at the weekend.

Like Matt i will see what is lying about in the shed. [:D]

12. POL

pol Forum Member

it's normally used on stainless steel to seal the system. the clear stuff from b&q will do the job. make sure it's well ventilated when heating for the first time. the fumes can be unpleasant.

13. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Must be a bugger to get zaust apart tho if you needed to, it sticks to everything and wont come off, I use it being a plumber, it will seal almost anything if its clean and dry, horrible stuff tho use disposable gloves when applying it.

14. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

wouldnt want to use silicone anywhere near downpipe as cant see it dealing with temps.
    what sort of exhaust paste you been using... the smooth white stuff is useless.
    proper exhaust paste always works for me just make sure system is cold, joints are clean and get it assembled quick as it goes off in no time. also let it get up to temp on idle before giving it any throttle

15. J0HN30Y Forum Member

Sorry to resurrect and hijack an old thread but i've been struggling with my supersprint system and the smooth white stuff is terrible. I used to use a thick brown stuff which was brillient but my local halfords don't do it anymore, think is was Gun Gum.

I'm wary of using silicone if its difficult to pull apart, may have to change the centre box soon. Which is the best paste to use then?

Also does anyone know where to get heavy duty exhaust clamps from? I snapped 2 of the C shaped ones at the weekend. I've got a really good solid one clamping the back box on but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from. its at least an inch wide with a really substantial bracket on it that really clamps the joint well.

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You can still get Gun Gum from Halfords (or at least my local one still sells it). You could try somewhere like GSF, or a small local factors.

The wide clamps can also be had from GSF. My local branch only sells these, and not the crappy U-clamps. :thumbup:

17. J0HN30Y Forum Member

Top stuff cheers StuMc :thumbup:

18. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Normal silicone from B&Q ect.. would probably deteriorate over a short space of time tho so you would be better off using gun gum as its made for the job

19. J0HN30Y Forum Member

Gun gum it is then!
    So what diameter clamp do I need on a mk2 valver (just noticed this is infact the 8valve thread - apologies)
    THanks again!

20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have used silicon on my exhaust for a couple of years mainly cos i didnt have any paste and needed to seal the exhaust.

I have never seen it deteriorate, or go brittle.

I currently have a pikey repair on my drivers down pipe that is a piece of a redbull can wrapped around the exhaust sealed with silicon and a clamp. has been on there for a few weeks now.