Simons 89 small bumper 8v fixup thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Woohoo. Runs a dream after soldering

2. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

DSC_0828.JPG DSC_0827.JPG Vw golf mk2 gti digifant ecu blown

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nice work :thumbup:

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Note the huge diesel jump lead from batt - ve to head just in case. Was considering putting fuse wire on link in case. Now to change the dishwater sump petrol and get an ecu cover! Happy boy
    Unfortunately the scaffolders came early while I was out so chomping at the bit to try him out
    Just got mk2 golf gti running. How the hell do I get it out DSC_0819.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Oh can confirm the bad earth was the cable to gearbox bolt. Thought batt was flat. Cranks faster with - ve jump lead from batt to head. Tightened bolt.
    Great to be on the twisty country roads in Cheshire today after changing the oil that was thinners with vapour coming out the sump.

6. rubjonny

Lovely job :)

7. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Oh and bought an additional 60cm batt - ve lead from halfords and bolted it to front corner rocker cover bolt from battery post with shake proof washers to bite into terminals just in case.

8. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Longstanding problem with messing about with loom relays etc. I can change lowbeam to highbeam and back but can't flash headlights when headlight switch off

9. rubjonny

sounds like you've lost the permanent live to the flasher switch, its the red/yellow wire on the 4 pin plug to the wiper stalk (yes, I do mean the wiper stalk) or the flasher switch on the wiper stalk is damaged on that pin

10. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj will pull the meter out and take a look. My stalk wiring is not the best. It was working though. TBH I just leave the lower dashboard and steering column off permanently as I'm working through it. Flashing twin headlights to let someone out is so cool!

11. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Mot day. Failed
    Crystal headlights kick up to the right. Co 5.8%. Advisory on nsf sachs adjustable damping shock leaking. New headlights on order from eurocarparts 110 with discount

12. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Well fitted the hella headlights complete with adjustor and backplate. Let the grill hang by the spotlight wiring put it back together changed to high beam and back to low. Then to high again lights came on only if the stalk pulled back then no high or low beam at all just sidelights. Ordered some stalks I hope they fit. Fuses good

13. rubjonny

check the headlight & ignition switch, should see ignition live at the black/yellow at ignition switch and headlight switch. when headlight switch is on 2nd click with ignition on the white/black wire should have 12v

14. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

12v present on all of the above. :(

15. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Haha no wait the yellow/red, white, yellow and another wire taped up so I can't see the colour to back of flasher stalk has fallen off.
    Yippee. Also the headlight flasher works now. Must have been slipping off.
    Love this car and its previous wiring shenanigans

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  16. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Mot Retest passed Co at 3.3 and new headlights. Hooray
    Ordered a ce2 mfa pattern stalk for my ce1 car. Am going to convert it to fit my clocks by unclipping the mfa end and put it onto the ce1 non mfa stalk but need the pins that go onto the cluster as for some reason I don't have the 4 pin plug. Can't believe someone on ebay is selling a second hand one for £250. Is the signal from the mfa buttons to the clocks an earth or +ve

17. rubjonny

might be tricky, I tried to do that on my CE1 driver stalks but the retaining frame wasnt there in the stalk end to hold the mfa button PCB. YMMV, plus if you have crappy pattern stalk you can hack the hell out of it to get the bits you need, glue into nice oem stalk.

its a common earth on the stalk button, 3 signal wires to the clocks. if your dash loom is a load of garbage I would recommend you try and source a good one instead

18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Looks like there is a locking tab on both genuine non and pattern stalk ends that can be lifted to allow the ends to be slid out. What pins on the cluster should the stalk wires connect too? Found this
    http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE1cluster.html

Can you buy the pins for the ce1 plugs so you can add them to make them mfa plugs? ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  19. rubjonny

yeah there is, the ends pop off fine but the trouble is the PCB inside for the buttons slides into a set of plastic rails on the main stalk and this bit was missing on my CE1 stalks. As I say if you dont care about butchering up the CE2 stalks you can transfer the insides over I expect with a bit of care.

if you check the CE1 section of my FAQ I have the cluster pinout there as well, it may help as I've put the pin numbers for the plug in it:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

you can get cluster repair pins from VW still, you get a bit of yellow wire with a terminal on either end so you would have to order 2 of them. but as I say if the rest of the dash harness is garbage I would say get yourself a replacement ideally from a GTI that'll make your life easier. Then all you would need to do is change the 4 pin plug for MFA either on the dash side or stalk side, stalk side would be better if you can find a plug since the pins are readily available plus if you look on the wiring from the big black plug there is a spare 4 pin white plug which is the same one as found on the CE1 mfa stalk :)

20. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member