Simons 89 small bumper 8v fixup thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Mar 29, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I can see 2 main dash loom sections in there, early and late (black and red headlight switch plugs) so if nothing else you'll have plenty of spare pins. cant see any MFA plugs in there but non of the pics are especially clear so cant say for sure either way

2. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj for looking.are you saying one is a ce2 loom as mine is ce1? Really looking forward to finding out if mfa works.
    Returns accepted so I'll do a clearer pic when in front of me

3. rubjonny

never mind I was mistaken there is only 1 loom in there :)

its a later CE1 type as it has red headlight switch plug for the 11 pin headlight switch. Make sure you have an 11 pin switch as fitting earlier 8 or 9 pin one will cause the headlight switch loom to melt!

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Hmm. Mine is definitely not red. You noticed my loom has been fried before with wrong stalks fitted

5. rubjonny

Not the end of the world, either depin both and swap the old.plug to new.loom or source the later 11 pin switch. They're a little easier to find so that helps.

Depending on the state of it you may need to split both looms.down and swap bits about to make a good dash loom anyway!

6. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

I see the slot for the mfa board in ce2 stalk DSC_1015.JPG

Attached Files:

7. rubjonny

cool looks pretty easy to cut away ce2 stalk so the board retainer can be glued into CE1 stalk :thumbup:

8. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Dremel time as its moulded with the stalk. Will pull end off driver stalk to see what's in there. If it goes wrong at worst I will have the shortest non mfa driver wiper stalk in the UK

9. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Oh gifts arrived in post. Smoked lenses off clear on DSC_1014.JPG

10. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

It's arrived. Now where is the mfa stalk plug?

DSC_1026.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  11. rubjonny

these 3 red circles are the mfa plugs, note the stalk plug is different to ce2 so you'll need to change stalk or clock side.

handily near fusebox in yellow circle is a spare 4 pin plug which is the same as the ce1 mfa stalk plug. You can buy the pins or just splice the wires if you prefer
    DSC_1026.JPG

12. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Brilliant idea about using the spare plug it fits! Will swop over to stalk. The cluster white and black plugs definitely have not got the amount of wires that the ebay loom has. Plus I get to replace all my melted wires and plugs to stalk and headlight switch. My current headlight switch is 9 pin and the ebay loom has a red 11 pin plug so what wires would I have to change if I didn't buy a switch? DSC_1034.JPG DSC_1035.JPG DSC_1036.JPG DSC_1036.JPG

13. rubjonny

if you want to use the new loom, swap the pins over which are the same colours, then you'll have a grey and grey/yellow left over. the grey/yellow is fused input to later type dimmer wheel, which means the dash lighting grey/blue is fused. on the old looms its not fused(!)

the grey/yellow is the power feed for the fog light switch on models without front fogs, this might need some fiddling. Follow this wire see where it goes, if it ends up at a male spade, unplug it and remove from the loom. take the female spade it was connected to, and pop into M/1 on the fusebox.

if it goes straight to the big black plug joining the 2 halves of the dash loom you'll need to put a spade on it for m/1 as above, otherwise your fog lamps wont work. It will probably have a spade on it same as the earlier ones do, its there so you can plug it into spade on B/20 which is the power output from the fog light relay which is fitted when factory/dealer fit front fogs are specified

14. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj. If I just buy the 11 pin switch will it just be plug and play? I'm worried about the driver stalks I think have been fitted

15. rubjonny

yep 11 pin switch will plug straight in. was fitted to last of the ce1 fusebox cars then all the ce2 ones in the UK

stalks any ce1 will do right from mk1 golf spindly stuff to late 88 chunky

16. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Excellent. Am going to buy switch and happy about the stalks. Thanks Rj

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

A couple of treats for the golf whilst awaiting 11 pin headlight switch to arrive. Gti grille badge and tax disc from vw action santa pod

DSC_1063.JPG DSC_1060.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Well when I got the loom out it was worse than I thought. No white black wire at the big blue plug at the back of the fusebox just a couple of strands poking out etc. Connected new loom up and no smoke phew. Car wouldn't crank as I forgot the toad immobiliser needed the dongle inserted haha. Even got the mfa to switch on the lcd! Happy days

Attached Files:

19. rubjonny

take that brown out of the back of the fusebox!!!

It should go to the white 4 way spade block on the headlight loom. where it is will short out the headlight wiring

20. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Will do Rj. Thanks for the warning.
    The 2 mfa plugs in black connectors on lhs where do they go?