'Standalone' stripped out ABF ECU: Been done? Ibiza rally build, discussion

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Jon Olds, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My Ibiza rally build is moving forward. Cage done. EPS in situ. Wiring harness has been minimised in situ to remove unnecessary function (it is a Cupra base car).
    Next is further stripping of the ECU function.

One of two engines is going in both have their own standalone ECU's and engine harnesses.

The ABF ECU is still there, at the moment.

So, I'm going to unpick the std ECU/ECU harness in situ and remove any wires that run the engine, then re-assemble off car it so it will run a standalone ABF engine at a later date. And rebind what's left on the car

Any snags I am likely to meet? I know part of the wiring will be the immob box.

What I am going to end up with is a bare bones Ibiza harness in situ that should have enough function get the car MOT'd.

Any comments?
    Jon

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its early type loom with engine and lighting looms separate its already pretty much only got the engine harness in there as it is, you have the wiper, starter, reverse, dash sensor, level sensor, speedo wiring in there but that is pretty much it.

immob box wiring will probably be integrated into the engine loom if its original a SEAT loom, a converted MK3 loom would have the immob box stuff seperate. you can convert the seat loom easily enough its just 1 wire to the ecu which can be snipped with a single pin plug inline, then all the power/earth wires can be tapped into the interior harness rather than engine loom.

Jon Olds likes this.
  3. ronnie35 Forum Member

Sorry to hijack a thread, but my query does have similarities to the OP...In that its an Ibiza rally car (ABF) with (well soon to be I hope!) stand alone ECU!

How difficult is it to intergrate a DTA S40, whilst retaining a fully functioning standard dash? Is it a case of modifying an original wiring harness?

I'm happy to take on most aspects of car building, but I'd rather pay someone else to do this work for me tbh!

Thanks,

Reian

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

only issue is if it has the MFA the MPG display is fed from a signal from the ECU and this would be lost when the DTA goes in, unless there is some way to make it output this signal? Though with it beign a track car, I doubt you will worry too much about how economical your driving is :lol:
    Apart from that the dash only needs the rev counter signal from the ecu and the dta outputs the same signal natively I believe. have a word with sparrow on here for the finer details on the DTA as he is the resident supplier :)

all the other dash signals come form various sensors on the engine which would be retained anyway, so no other worries on the subject from that side. Getting the ecu wired up isnt too bad really, have a look at this megasquirt thread it has lots of useful info on the ecu and round plug pinouts plus various sensors which will all apply to you also :thumbup:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?203746

ronnie35 likes this.
  5. ronnie35 Forum Member

Very late I know, but thanks for the informative post. (Picking up this DTA install project, after sticking with standard until now). Thanks.

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

To conclude this thread, the car is complete, mot,d and log booked with minimal OE harness and DTA ecu.
    Jon

7. ronnie35 Forum Member

That's good news! I seem to be struggling to find a company that is willing to install the S40 without wanting to build a new loom. If anyone has suggestions for a competent company/individual that could carry out the work, please let me know. Ta, Reian

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Emailed you back with some of my experience, the engine bay harness is not an area to save money on, unfortunately.
    Jon

9. ronnie35 Forum Member

Received with thanks!

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

happy to try and help out
    Jon