Starter motor problem

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Adam peachey, May 5, 2020.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sai pump is common fault, you take it off and replace all the rivets with screws to tighten it up or delete the lot and have it coded out then see how it is :)

2. Adam peachey Forum Member

Thanks for your help Johnny ,so car will work ok if i blocked of pump?or just remove power to it, but that is the intermittent noise, whirring when engine is switched of, slowly stopping,?what you think ta m8

3. rubjonny

you can strip it all out and block off the connections on the engine, the sai valve can go to. common thing to do, have it coded out the ecu to stop the fault code. or split the rivets off the pump and repalce with screws to cure the noise

4. Adam peachey Forum Member

The whole unit is really wobbly on the rubber, as really perished, putting screws in would stop it coming on&off?as is only used at start?is that right?still going to change the ignition switch, but if i just unplugged the secondary pump, would that work?many thanks for all your help,

5. rubjonny

6. Adam peachey Forum Member

Many thanks, top man, very instructive

7. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi m8 just looked at my pump &it dosnt have rivets?just sealed with a glue?do i forse it open, clean and reseal?

8. rubjonny

i guess so? whatever works for you

Adam peachey likes this.
  9. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi Johnny, im still having air leak at back under throttle body, its lean at low &rich at high, must be sucking air from the pump under the throttle, the mushroom topped bit held in by 2 nuts or bolts, is that the part to put a blank plate &gasket?as i could take all sai pump &block of air filter &put a small k&n on the top oil breather,would that work?I know il have to get it coded out. &would a catch can help?soz to hassle on a sun, but I can hear a suck when flicking throttle, would explain the lean at low &rich at high, even smelt a wiff of gas in oil,please any ideas?many thanks Adam

10. rubjonny

bin off all the sai system entirely, its a common mod and kits are available off the shelf.

breather system I would fix properly with new OEM parts where required, this is also a common issue and IIRC there was a repair kit from VW for it but might be wrong on that one

11. Adam peachey Forum Member

Many thanks, &would you recommend I fit a catch can?&do you know where I could get the parts to delete the sai?ta Johnny

12. rubjonny

no just fix breather system with new parts keeping it standard :)

Adam peachey likes this.