stealth type head unit install ideas for Mk2 golf

Discussion in 'ICE' started by REIDO, Mar 19, 2014.

1. REIDO Forum Member

Ive been toying with the idea of doing some kind of hidden ICE/head unit in my MK2 golf.

I would like to fit a set of VDO gauges in the slot where the radio fits and I dont fancy spending the scene TAX that a votex console seems to attract. I have seen some folks fit their radio where the ashtray fits but I would like to keep it as simple looking and as standard(ish) looking as I can. Not bothered about hiding speakers ect.

Been thinking about ways I could install some kind of hidden head unit or amp but the main challenges seem to be some way of controlling the volume/power ect .
    Would ideally like to have a USB slot for ipod/iphone, mp3 ect. Radio, preferably DAB (thinking of the future). 3.5mm audio jack maybe.
    I have found few amplifiers that claim to have a direct aux input but this would still leave the dilemma of having an easy way to control volume ect.. although might be possible to do it directly from the source, eg an ipod or similar.
    Anyone any thoughts or experience with this type of thing?
    cheers

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

What about a small amp connected to your ipod via RCAs? It would let you control the sound from the device itself.

3. REIDO Forum Member

Thanks dragonfly,
    Im not too clued up on the specifics of these things lol.
    I have seen that direct input to the rca's from an ipod can give a low volume, but might be got around by adjusting gain? I found a blaupunkt amp with direct aux input which would get round this though.
    I also found this http://m.ebay.com/itm/360879685849 which is a possibility and think it can be controlled by remote control.

4. REIDO Forum Member

Not sure if i could fit a normal car stereo in the glove box using a bracket like this.
    http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects2-ct24uv06_p-27266.htm
    This way any car stereo will fit and there are stereos that allow full control with an iphone or a remote control.
    Probably the most flexible soloution but not sure if the glovebox is big enough

5. DuBAndy Forum Member

I think someone on the MK2 owners club did this. Not sure they had to trim the inside of the glove box though...

6. whitemk2 Forum Member

Some years ago I saw a head unit mounted in the glove box and the face of the stereo was actually in the sunvisor. the cables ran through the headlining and down the side pillar

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

The amp in the ebay link would work. Have a look at the dock fabricated in the door handle of the A4 (scroll down to Rob's award winning A4) http://www.studioincar.com/gallery/#