Steel sump baffle kits

Discussion in 'JMRacing' started by mr hillclimber, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jasonwinslow Forum Member

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Guy's, really sorry, not been on much of late and forget to look here. A friend has pointed this out to me so I'll pull my finger out! There's err... something in the wind, which I will deal with right now before I advertise and break any sales rules... Chris, email coming towards you.

I've currently sold all I had made, though there is a batch on the back burner, I'll find out what's happening over the weekend and get back to you all.

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Just a quickie... first of the new batch ready end of this week, I'm picking them up Monday... a few are earmarked already, so PM or email with requirements and I'll squeeze my man to make more as required.

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Clear you inbox... PM impending, :)

5. geordiegar Forum Member

Me too, clear your inbox please!

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Cleared some space... quick, beat the rush!:lol:

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

PM sent.

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Jason,

Your inbox is full. I will definately have one please. Also, a couple of wuick queries:

- Am I right in thinking that I won't need the VW windage tray when using your baffle insert?
    - Should I tack the baffle into place?

Thanks,

Gurds

9. Willber Forum Member

Yep, tried to reply to your very helpful pm but it bounced back. Please let me know if there are any available.

Cheers

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi Gurds.. thanks for that.

Sorry bout that... I need more inbox space... Chris!? :lol:

You are indeed right, you dont need the windage tray, but I would highly recommend one as it has a couple of uses... windage & helping to keep the oil where it should be.

Indeed, I alway recommend tacking them into place, though they are a snug fit.

Something of note to all of you... the original jig was an O.E sump, I've noticed the aftermarket sumps vary a bit, some fit straight in, some are tight. Either a tap in the sump on the tight spot or a quick shave with a file on the baffle will sort it. Or, I can have them made to fit the aftermarket sump, but they will then be slack in an OE sump... though there's probably not many of those around now.. let me know how you want them... tho possibly no 2 sumps are the same

Also... the baffle is only made to fit the common flat bottom steel sump.. it wont fit the MK1 "V" shape sump. If the alloy ABF sump is the same shape it "may" fit that also, but I've not checked as yet, and obviously you couldnt tack it in...

There can be more dedicated baffles to fit whatever sumps you have in mind if the demand is there, but as there are a few other products in preperation they may have to join the list subject to the development time needed... but most things are possible.

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

There is currently, but I can have as many made as needed without too much delay.

Off to sort some inbox space! :thumbup:

12. Flipper Forum Member

Can you supply everything i need to drop it staright in, i.e... baffle, windage tray etc.... ???
    Also how much for it all????

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

jason im still up for one if they are still available

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I can indeed, I'll work something out early in the week and get back to you.

15. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi Alan... they are indeed... I'm picking up a new batch on Monday... and another soon after by the looks of things!

Let me look at the current orders Alan and get back to you.

16. Willber Forum Member

Yep also interested in this for my ABF :thumbup:

17. deepdishtj Forum Member

Full abf kit please!

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Re the ABF fitments...

I spoke with my fabricator today when picking up the new batch of baffles about basically the same kit as the steel sump but in alloy. His initial answer was "dont do it"!... the alloy baffles "may" crack with vibration. He does a lot of stock car sumps and many come back cracked, tho the engines are subject to a lot of vibration in an F2 stock car.

I know a similar thing is available for the Seat's, anyone know of a cracking issue there?

We then talked about maybe doing them in either thicker alloy, or welding the steel one to the bottom of the windage tray, which would cure that issue, but would the pump fit up in place?.. I'll do a mock up and have a look.

I priced up a new alloy sump from VW today, even with trade discount it's 104 plus vat... so buying new sumps and welding them in would'nt be cost effective for you all, so even if I supply an alloy version how many of you would want to run around looking for an alloy welder and getting them welded in?.. and, being alloy, they (the sumps) are more prone to cracking when hit on the speed bumps we all have to suffer these days.

Would'nt converting the alloy sump to the steel item be the better option from both a reliability & cost point of view?

I've also got one price for quantities of steel sumps and windage tray's... I'm of to look for a better deal tomorrow to try and keep the package cost down for you all, then I can work out the full price for those that want a sump/baffle/windage tray package... I'm on the case.

19. geordiegar Forum Member

Full kit will be awesome Jason.

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Right...

Full kit price.... new sump, new windage tray, my baffle & new bolts, 140.82.... well, I think to you guys 140 all in.

That includes a 10% discount off the sumps & windage tray's, so saves you just over 6 quid there, and it includes postage & packing.

I've included bolts as some find the originals are too short, if your happy to use your originals, or your best mates uncles neighbours son can get you some (;)) I'm happy to adjust the price accordingly.

Many requirements are individual, so PM or email me what you want, or give me a dig if I hav'nt replied to a previous request.

Now so far, this is the standard depth steel sump, so those wanting to fit them to ABF's may need/want to change the pick up... depending on what you have/or are building. Some say the gap is a little tight, some run them this way and dont have an issue. The new sumps do however have a dip in them that the old sumps did'nt have... maybe for this reason?

The baffles are currently moving fast, but I can have them made almost as fast, the sumps & tray's take a couple of days to come through, so please be aware of this if you want the full package, though I'll have a couple at a time here, subject to how quick they go.

Hope that helps you all.