Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by zulu, Feb 11, 2006.

1. zulu New Member

1991 GTi

I am trying to replace a faulty ignition switch. I have reved the steeing wheel and the combination switches. I ahve removed the allen cap screw holding the lock to the column. I have also removed the lock barrel.

The book states that I have to slide the lock off the column. Some versions refer to prising he lcok washer from the inner column and reving the spring.

I can identify the Bearing and Spring but no lockwasher. The spring seems to be held in place by a bush splined on to the column. A puller slips of the collar before the bush moves. How do I get the lock off and thus the switch out? Is it possible to drop the switch out without removing the lock?

2. davidlc912sss New Member

Well, I just did the same a couple of weeks ago, so...

What the (Haynes?) book doesn't tell you is that there are (at least) 2 type of fitting at the top of the column. I've seen both types - I removed the switch from one with the splined-on bush and fitted it to one with the lock washer. What I did was...

Removed the splined-on bush with a small 3 legged puller, although doing quite a bit of damage to the bush in the process, due to insufficient lip on the bush - it kept slipping off (as you found)and burring the bush's edge. I wasn't bothered about this as I wasn't reusing it, butyou might try andfit a Jubilee clip around the legs of the puller. If all else fails, buy a new bush and grind the old one off is what I'd do. Once the bush is off, it releases pressure on the spring - there's no lock washer.

With the older fitting (the lock washer), I couldn't shift the washer either, so gave up on the top end - removed the clamp bolt from the bottom universal and pulled the inner column out. Not my idea but I have a friend with lots of Mk 2 knowledge! I could have forcibly removed the lock washer but was in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday with no spare washer. This gives you enough room to remove the switch.

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

i find it easier to undo column from UJ, and remove it all as one....then bend the end of a small screwdriver and you can get to the screw holding the switch in.

4. zulu New Member

Fixed it by removing the bolt from the bottom UJ. Simple. If you did want to pull the bush off you can now at least put the whole lot in a press and do the job properly. Did get a suggestion to put mole grips around the bush and then pull on that

5. Ron Stone New Member

Waking up a very old subject, I have the problem that the lock barrel has failed in that it takes about 5 minutes fiddling with the key before it decides to turn. I have the splined on bush which is proving very stubborn. Is it possible to remove just the lock barrel without the rest of the steering lock? Is it the Haynes method of drilling a 3mm hole to press a spring?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep drill the hole and lock barrel comes out. you may even be able to do this with everythign still on the car but I've not tried. as previously mentioned if not just pull the column off with lock housing attached then attack it with a drill :)

7. Ron Stone New Member

Thanks John, OK, I am going to attempt to drill the hole with it still in place, otherwise I need to drill out the break-off bolts, which look a bit awkward to get to.

8. rubjonny

no need to drill the shear bolts, as per previous advice if you undo the allen bolt underneath, remove the bolt at the bottom of the column holding the universal joint on you can pull the column with switch housing out of the column tube :thumbup:

9. Ron Stone New Member

Many thanks, column and lock barrel out.

10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks just to revive this:

I have located a full set of genuine keys, locks and fuel cap for a Mk2- VW part no. 165-898-081 B - I have 3 keys on my Mk2 and it’s a PITA plus the ignition key/mechanism feels very loose so it will no doubt fail at some stage.
    I’m going to try drilling in place with just steering wheel, plastic housings and possibly stalks removed - has anyone used the marking and drilling in place route recently?
    It would save a serious amount of ballache - I’ll source a couple of long(ish) 3mm drill bits as standard ones definitely won’t work in such a tight spot

11. rubjonny

just take the complete column out with lock still attached, takes 5 minutes. dont even have to remove the wheel and stalks :lol:

12. costel1969

Just so I’m clear RJ is this by taking something off at the pedal end? - I’ve never done any work in relation to the steering column before

13. rubjonny

yes near the pedals, follow the column down where it joins to the universal joint. remove the nut and bolt here plus the allen bolt up top thru the ignition lock housing, then column will come straight out. you have top remove the bolt as the column is notched for it, this also means it only fits 1 way so you wont throw off your steering if you leave the wheel on.

obv unplug the electrical plugs first, and dont loose the tension spring that sits between the column and UJ :)

14. costel1969

Cheers RJ - I’m still tempted by the drill in place method but will decide when I get over

15. Rocco_Balboa Paid Member Paid Member

Has anyone got a method of how to remove the lock washer at the top of the column so i can replace my ignition housing? I've tried chapping it off with a screwdriver but I'm damaging the column in the process.
    I've thought about just cutting it off and replacing it but there's no mention of it in ekta etc
    [​IMG]2022-06-27_08-32-43 by Paul Miller, on Flickr

16. rubjonny

just needs levering off, a 2/3 leg puller may help if its really stuck. try to lever it out on the inside where its cutting into the column shaft if that makes sense

17. Rocco_Balboa Paid Member Paid Member

I managed to find the part number suitable for a mk2 golf and ordered a new one, I can now remove it without worrying about destroying it during removal.
    The steering column in the Haynes manual looked nothing like mine so was next to no help

18. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

In order to get the big splined "bush" off I modified a ball-joint splitter.

https://ibb.co/Z6dWtvp

However as noted above the bush is made of quite soft metal so its easy to mangle when removing