Steering splined sleeve advice

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk2 nas, Sep 7, 2019.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

hi,as title my mk2 project has a poor condition steering wheel.anyway long story short got a good
    Steering wheel to replace it.the old one was small splined fitting.the new one is the bigger size.
    The man on the auto jumble who sold it to me also supplied the adapted sleeve.
    I was expecting the adapted sleeve to slide on easyish but that's not the case.the spines seem
    Way to tight and I reckon the only way this will go on is with the force of the nut on top and ratchet it on.
    I'm reluctant to go any further at this stage in case it's wrong and have no chance of removal in future.
    Out of interest the sleeve I was sold dosnt have any Vw numbers or logo (should it have?)
    It was used also but good nick splines are intact just don't wanna go on without serious force.

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had to use a hammer to get one off in the past it was pretty dam tight I'm sure someone else will have more info on this but I believe the large spline was just the adapter on the column I've had a few later mk2's and they have all had an adapter on them, sorry I can't be of more help than that.

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok just not sure about the one I've got
    Being sold it on an auto jumble.
    With no makers stamp either might not even be for a golf.but like I said it's stupid tight
    And I expected to just slot it over with ease but not the case.I could order another but thought I'd sound out others on here first.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes that is correct, ElsaWin tells you to use the steering wheel nut to tighten the spline adaptor into place. you also need a different spring though part number 1H0419667 if its the longer type spline adaptor. can find it on mk3 golf, 6n polo and various others in scrappy. the shorter one just slips straight on

mk2 nas likes this.
  5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

So are you saying the shorter type that vw
    Herritage sell 26mm I think is a slightly looser fithe than the long type that I've got that's Deffo gonna have to be torqued on with the nut.just thinking of removal later though poss never will.

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

That was "fit" not filth predictive text eh lol.
    Wouldn't mind but not even looked for any thilth.

7. rubjonny

yeah there are 2 versions, the short one goes on with all the original spring, sleeve and circlip. the longer version replaces all the old stuff and uses a different tension spring :)

to remove it again you got to use a gear puller, VW forums and groups are littered with 'how do I remove my spline adaptor' posts :lol:

mk2 nas likes this.
  8. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok but are they both as tight as each other.
    Is the shorter one a looser fit?

Just misunderstood you earlier comment slips strait on.
    Though maybe it had been revised as a bit looser.but I take it you were referring to not altering spring etc

9. rubjonny

both are the same fit on the splines, only difference is the skirt length past the splined bit to the column if that makes sense.

yeah sorry when I said 'slips straight on' what I meant was it fits straight on with the pre-88 spring, clip and spacer, the long one requires all of that to be pulled off and replaced with the later part number spring I mention

mk2 nas likes this.
  10. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks just gonna make sure everything's
    Good before I put it on.i am changing the full
    Lock set on the car as I've 3 different keys.
    So ignition barrel is getting changed.
    I take it the steering lock mechanism doesn't pass over the splined sleeve.:thumbup:

11. rubjonny

yeah you have to remove all the gubbins off the column before the lock housing comes off, so make sure the ignition lock + housing is tip top before you press the adaptor on :lol: