Still Missing

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Richard Gilberd, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

After two years of restoration I still haven't managed to get this car running properly, every time i think i've done it it's still there! the symptons are between 2-4000 rpm and it is a bad misfire almost undriveable, The only thing that makes it diveable is if i disconnect the knock sensor and then it runs and revs through the whole range without missing, or if i just stick to full throttle!.
    I've set the static timing as per Rubjohnnys thread although after static timing it is almost as though the motor has a compression lock and then starts?, then whilst setting the timing per the strobe light the dizzy needs quite a bit of a turn to get it on 6 degrees btdc, when i reconnect the blue sensor the timing does adjust itself, how much i can't tell but it does move! i've got some photos of the static timing if anyone can see what is wrong here

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

list of new parts,
    blue sender, distributor, cap, leads, plugs, isv, knock sensor, coil, alternator, starter,all vacuum lines, injectors cleaned and new cable loom, new motor cable loom (d.i.y but all tested and seems fine)
    list of used parts replaced for testing purposes!,
    Afm, ECU it's a code BB originally a CT but in my opinion shouldn't make a difference let me know if you know different, intake boot.
    i'm really kicking myself after two years not being able to get this thing going, any insights would be really appreciated

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ah finally worked out the pics!! the one in the bell housing is not great but i'm lined up on the small mark there.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

were you setting the ignition timing at 2.25k rpm?

if so print out the guide and get the base co checked at local garage for some tax free back pocket moneys. Had a bit of a missfire at cruise turned out mixture was too weak