Stolen: MK2 Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Stolen' started by Peter, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Well, all ok with it? Fingers crossed it is :thumbup:

2. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Please say she's back home! That would be the best Christmas ever!

Andy

3. Peter Forum Member

No updates yet I'm afraid.

The car was stolen in one county and found in another it seems that the two forces have not been in communication, I have called several times but keep getting sent from one to the other, as you can imagine it's becoming quite annoying.

After another hour and half going round in circles on the phone today I've finally been contacted by a police offer who assures me that the wheels are in motion, she's calling me back tomorrow so hopefully there will be some movement,

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Where was it found?

5. Peter Forum Member

Car was delivered this afternoon,

Everything looks to be in place, I was really worried that the interior would have been removed but other than being dusty it's just as I left it,

Not sure why the screen was removed, replacing it will be the first job , the wiring to the fuse box has been messed about with and the steering column and stalks have been badly damaged, the general condition of the car and the fact that it's still on its original plates suggests that it hasn't been driven in the time it's been away.

Not able to start it as the ignition barrel is damaged had a good nosey over the engine and it all looks just as I left it.

Unfortunately I didn't get any interior shots as we had to get it inside before the rain came

Feel very lucky to get it back let alone in this state. One of the best Christmas presents ever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

So happy for you Peter :thumbup:

Glad you got it back in one piece minus the windscreen.

Best Xmas present ever :)

7. nealey Forum Junkie

Strange that after all that time the only thing missing is the windscreen. Where was it found in a lockup or something?

8. muppet9966 Forum Member

Great result there!!!
    Although it couldnt have been nice when it was stolen.

9. conor2469 Forum Member

Excellent news. Did they catch someone in possession of the car or where/how was it discovered??

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Wow. That must be amazing to have the car back.

Was the windscreen removed to break into the car in the first place? BTW, someone actually stole a windscreen from one of our MK2s once!

11. Steve B Forum Junkie

happy to see you got this back! did you find out the story?

12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Absolutely awesome you've gotten this back, dead chuffed for you :thumbup:

13. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Glad you got it back - Will you be securing it up again or putting it back on the road?
    I think she want's to be out and about.

14. Peter Forum Member

Thanks gents,

Still don't know the full story, from what the police tell me the car was purchased by an individual from two gentlemen who had the car on the back of a recovery wagon, (I'm guessing these are the same two who took the car originally) the guy paid 250 for the car, at some point after the purchase he thought something was suspicious so contacted the police, they informed him that the car was stolen and it was recovered. I believe it has been undercover during its time away as it's thick with dust.

The car was recovered from Widnes a which is around 5 miles from where it was stolen.

It was unlocked when I left it so there was no reason to smash the screen there is some glass in the footwell so I think they may have smashed it by accident whilst removing the steering lock.

Fortunately they left the window rubber in the boot and it looks in good order :)

No firm plans at the moment like to get a screen back in it then I think I'll need an auto elec to sort out the wiring as they really have gone to town on it presumably to bypass the immobiliser.

Realistically I think it may be some time before it's back on the road as I don't really have the time to spare at the minute, if I was being sensible I would sell it on but I've had it twelve years in June so I've grown quite attached to it.

15. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Glad you got it back mate.

16. Chrisrpal Events Team

That is a nice story. Glad the car is back with original owner. Shame the thieves are still out there.

17. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Result :thumbup:

18. RoyF18 Forum Member

Glad to hear you got it back. I had mine stolen and recovered by the Police (in a terrible state) and it spent the last three years being rebuilt. Nice to hear of another mk2 staying with good owners and not being written off

Chrisrpal likes this.
  19. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Just read about your golf so pleased you got it back just a pity the thieving scum are still out there, at least the person that bought it did the right thing