Strange Steering Scenarios

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Dec 30, 2018.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Good afternoon all.

Had a few dodgy issues with the steering since the car has been back on the road.

1 - the steering would be easier to turn one way than the other, resulting in the steering only self returning to centre after a corner on one side.

2 - steering wheel seems to be off centre then back to straight position on it's own.
    Also had a slight pull to the left like tracking was out (Just had 4 wheel alignment) then no pull all of a sudden.

All tyres less than 500 miles, had recent laser 4 wheel alignment, new running gear completely up front. Using a mk3 rack and mk3 widetrack.

I'm thinking the rack has had it....?

Thanks, Rich

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like an issue in the rack hydraulic spool.

3. shane d Forum Member

Had same problem on a transit just before christmas by coincidence and it was the rack. Was told it was a valve in the rack. Changed the rack and all good.

4. DN5

Thanks for the reply, is this something that can be fixed or is it a new rack?

I'm very tempted to just grab a new one and whack it in but they are a lot of money to maybe not need it!

Also today, the steering wheel was pointing at 11o'clock....I pulled into a layby and gave it some hard left and right at slow speeds...set off and the steering wheel was dead straight at 12o'clock [><]

I must admit, it's slightly worrying!
    I'm thinking a good look around the column to tighten up any loose bolts then a new rack? That literally would leave nothing that isn't new! The column has had a new lower bearing when I rebuilt.

5. DN5

@Tristan - I've just looked up what the spool valve is and now understand how that would give all the symptoms if there was play / wear around there. Hmmm....new rack it seems!

Tristan likes this.
  6. DN5

Anyone got any ideas where I can get steering rack parts from? All I seem to find online are seal sets for rebuild kits.

Also call me crazy but what would it be like running the tdi mk2 on a manual steering rack? Like dragging a skip?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  7. LA9V Paid Member Paid Member

Have a spare rack if interested

8. DN5

Is it a mk2 pas rack? Will this allow for mk3 track rods as I'm widetrack up front? Give me a pm, Cheers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like something is loose to me. check rack to subframe bolts, ball joint, strut to bearing housing, wishbone bolts etc. when I've had wheel centre point shift about its been down to that

10. DN5

That's what I thought but it's all torqued up as it should be.
    I did wonder if maybe the rack itself was slightly bent causing the stiff left cornering and some wear causing the wheel to float about slightly.

Anyway I've been to pick up the rack from LA9V today so I think that's all that is left for me to do - see how that goes then!

Thanks.

11. rubjonny

yeah rack definitely wants doing looking at the other symptoms, have a double check of the other bolts while you're changing it. will have to undo a fair few of them anyway to get it swapped :lol:

12. DN5

I know, It's so annoying! Thing is I had this rack (mk3) and the rack out of mk2 that I since sold to @Joehough .

The newer one is caput and joes is in and cleared up his loose steering no problem :lol:

Can't make it up!

Off out to have a go now, thinking I don't need to drop the subframe but I'll be wrong [:$]

13. DN5

So I did have to drop the subframe down, if it was a manual steering rack I think it'd slide through the gap into the wheel well but this did not.
    Old rack out, transferred bits on to new rack, new rack in...called out to work till Sunday :cry:

Good job I kept the mk2 column to rack UJ as the mk3 item is different on the rack end.
    Think they match at the column end!?

Just need to connect back up the pipes and I think flush it with red atf and fill with red atf as I had used green with the mk3 rack.

:thumbup:

14. rubjonny

Yeah there are 2 splines for the rack depending on age, mk2 and mk3 column end splines are the same so its a case of use mk2 or mk3 pas uj to match the rack you get!

DN5 likes this.
  15. DN5

Cool, I've got both so all good on that issue.

Is it worth flushing the green stuff out or will the small amount not matter?

16. rubjonny

i would pull the pump off and make sure all the old fluid is drained out of it, drop the pipes down a bit so any left comes out etc. then you should be fine :)

DN5 likes this.
  17. DN5

That's what I'll do then. Worth the extra half hour of work isn't it.
    Just debating on lemforder rod ends or not.
    Any good?

18. rubjonny

lemforder are oem quality yep so thats what I would use if they need replacing

19. DN5

I had to heat up the offside to get it off and has melted the rubber boot. Won't harm replacing although the current ones are 700miles old [8(]

20. rubjonny

You can just buy the boots on eBay, worth a look