Stripping/cleaning PD injectors

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Hotgolf, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Righty, it's been mentioned that you can't strip and clean PD injectors as they are such a precision piece of kit, where as in fact, they use the same style/type of nozzle as the early injectors, but with a funky setup above it, which works directly off the cam and a solenoid.

If anyone is going to do this, you'll need a jig to strip the injector, or you'll end up with some scrap parts!
    And, I would suggest fitting some new nozzles if you can get them. Kerma on the TDI forums can get them from time to time.

I didn't strip the top part with the large spring, as it'sd just a mechanical device working of the cam which inturn pressurises the fuel to be injected.

First pic of a manky injector:
    [​IMG]

Now the sheeve removed that hold the whole end together. I must stress you need a jig for this or you WILL snap the dowels that locate the internals together:
    [​IMG]

Sealing ring and clip:
    [​IMG]

Now of the internals in line as a unit:
    [​IMG]

The whole lot laid out sepreated:
    [​IMG]

Pics of some of the internals which need to go back the same way!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clean ultrasonic tank before starting:
    [​IMG]

Tank within seconds of turning on, see the sh17 coming off!:
    [​IMG]

And the end re-assembled:
    [​IMG]

I haven't gone mad with the pics but it will show you the basics. The internals are made up of the nozzle and needle, , pair of shims and a plunge pin, large thick sleeve/spring/washers(x2)/dowels, another pair of shims and another plunge pin(excuses the terminology, the names are on the Bosch site if you want them). There's a few o rings etc, the brass sealing ring and the clip to hold it.

The outer sheeve has a few hundred tiny holes in it. If you block the small end and blow through they become more apparent with the moisture being forced out.

The solenoid I haven't really any pics of, but it's also pretty basic. I have a spare one here if you want me to strip it down and take some pics.

But basically, if you're careful, and clean, you can do this noproblem, and I must stress, you'll need the jig. If you just undo the end, the internals will be gunked together, and the dowels that locate it all are locked at the solenoid end will twist with the outer sheeve and snap. You can't replace the dowels as they are an interference fit in the assembly so you'll either need to find parts(from i don't know where) or buy another injector.

The injectors are about 500 each from VAG. They are a funky bit of kit, but can be serviced, and the nozzles can be bought. Please be careful of copy nozzles being sold on ebay. They look nice and shinny, but are complete crap, check out the TDI forum.

Anyway, hope this helps and clears a few things up. You don't always need to spend a fourtune ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Worth mentioning that there is a very precise procedure for the installation and setting up of the injectors, I can put up a link to the dealer sequence in PDF if required

3. Hotgolf

Setup is easy, if you're on about the 180deg. of the seating position.
    There is debate(mass at that) about the angle, but the 1 I had printed was 180 degs. plus the distance from the side of the head.
    May as well put the link up, well handy as it took me ages to find it the other day after binning my copy :)

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Much more to it than that, what effect it has I’m not sure. PM your e-mail addy and I’ll send it in PDF if you want, just need engine code/year etc

Wroth pointing out for those who may just throw them back in?

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I can’t host anything at the moment, server problems. But I can mail it

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

i've only hear of it, as a guy i work with has done it. if the angles out a it could fire against the tip of the glow plug taking that out !!

7. Hotgolf

The angle from what I can gather is for the fuel delivery into the injector, but I could be wrong too.
    When you look straight down into the seating position of the injector it doesn't look as if the angle could actually do anything. The hole in the head for the fuel feed doesn't actually line up with the hole in the injector, it's out by around 180degrees. The lower hole that feeds the tiny holes act more as a capailary effect and takes fuel in from any angle.
    As for squirting the glow plug, another theory, which is probably the correct one.
    With the nozzle being dowelled, the 5 delivery jets will be at set positions, and like this pic, once set correctly will fuel either side of the glow plug, and not directly on it:
    [​IMG]

If it was to fire directly on it, I'm assuming it would eventually burn it out.

8. mrurosevic New Member

I have to ask you for some details about the PD injectors. I drive Polo 2001_1.4TDI if you have some other document on maintaining nozzle please send me. Thanks in advance

9. rob reid New Member

Help with the pain

Hi, I need to strip and build my t5 injectors. Your pics are seemingly not visible on my PC. Would it be pos to email me these pics or any info on this and set up etc? if so to robert.1.reid@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks in advance Rob

10. Djmikejvr New Member

How do i see the pics????

11. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

The pictures were hosted on photobucket and they have changed there policy about regards hosting pictures on 3rd party sites. So unfortunately you can't see the pictures.
    Personally I wouldn't bother trying to strip a PD injector I would just buy a good second hand item. They are cheap enough.

12. powernut Forum Member

Hi when u strip a 1.9 tdi pd injector how do u strip injector with breaking the aligning pins inside the unit