Swap AUG Gearbox to ? for higher gearing

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by AndyBa, Jun 26, 2022.

1. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I'm interested in swapping the box for something with higher 4th and 5th gears since it's a bit noisy on motorway runs which I do to get to work. What are my options?

Golfie has just over 172K on the clock and I think the original clutch is getting close to giving up. Not slipping except when I rest my foot on the pedal. So based on the fact the gearbox will need to come out to swap the clutch I may as well swap the box too.

TIA.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the easiest option I recon is a taller 5th gear from a diesel/4+e box, if your existing gearbox is tip top otherwise

AndyBa likes this.
  3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks RJ

4. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would look for mk3 tdi 5 speed gearbox…everything swaps over…

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I'm wary that changing all the ratios might mean I struggle to keep up with a basic modern city car.

6. Adamss24 Forum Member

Ratios are not that different, you get a longer 4th and 5th, there is little difference between 1st/2nd and 3rd gear ratios between petrol and diesel…if anything you get a longer final drive/top speed and slightly more space between the 3/4 and 5 which is what you’re after innit ?

7. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would try a whole 90 Bhp diesel gearbox 1st, if you don’t like it then you can change the 5th gear on the old gearbox- it’s easy to do with basic tools !