Swap from 2.0 2e to abf

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by AleeexGF, Nov 13, 2019.

1. AleeexGF New Member

Hello my friends.
    10 montsh ago i swapped from 1.4 to 2.0 2e. Now i want more power and i want to swap to a abf engine. My first question is. Can i use the 2e gearbox and flywheel? I don’t want to convert to hydraulic clutch.
    Another question i have is about wiring loom. Is enough to swap engine loom that is in the engine bay ? Must swap all the wiring loom from engine bay to fuse box in car?
    Thanks for help in advance! Cheers !

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yes, no problem. but its not hard to go hydro clutch all mk3 pedal box are the same just bolt on hydro parts and shifter setup and you're done

2. need complete loom right back to fusebox, just try to get the right age to match your mk3. early the engine and headlight looms are separate, late its all one big lump. you can convert looms either way just needs a bit more effort rather than drop in and go

erreesse likes this.
  3. AleeexGF New Member

My mk3 now has one big lump, the abf has these separate. How many plugs i have to connect to my fusebox?
    Which is the disadvantage to stay on mechanical clutch? Performance is same as on gearbox with hydro clutch?

4. rubjonny

you need plugs F, G1 and G2 plus Z/1 to the fusebox, plus the abf loom has purple/white from ecu to clocks for mpg, blue/white to W/1 for ECU vehicle speed signal and grey/white for diagnostics.

to make your life easier could grab a late loom, I'm sure you'll find people who are happy to swap as an early loom is easier when you're swapping to a mk1/2 golf.

only thing with late loom is you cant fit early ecu until you trim the square lock tabs off the corners, you'll see what I mean. or if your mk3 has a working immobiliser fit the later ecu and code it to your immobiliser box with vagcom

gearbox wise the 02a is stronger than the 020 but unless you're going to go crazy upgrading the ABF you'll be alright so long as the 020 is in good condition. Can always stash the 02A box, flywheel and shifter setup for later if you want a quick and easy swap for the short term

erreesse likes this.
  5. AleeexGF New Member

in my country it’s hard to find a complete loom to a acceptabble price.. so probably i will try this loom i have..

6. rubjonny

ok its not too bad to convert really, strip the old ecu wiring out and add the abf stuff in. if you have the old 1.4 loom lying about you can convert that instead

7. AleeexGF New Member

Hoses from cooling system of 2e fit on abf?

8. rubjonny

if you keep the radiator yes you can use the 2e hoses, only thing is the thin hose to the header tank has nowhere to go. so you can use a mk3 abf top hose or what I did was grab a plastic flange with nipple off a mk3 golf and insert it into my top hose.

like so:
    gti98.jpg

if you do go for an abf top hose make sure the thin hose isn't blocked. for some reason VW put a plastic fitting at the junction where it fits the main hose with a tiny hole thru the middle which gets clogged up really easy and makes the coolant system harder to bleed

9. AleeexGF New Member

[​IMG]
    So the thin hose i can put in the main hose of radiator? (I make a point yellow on main hose)

10. rubjonny

yep thats the one, the abf top hose looks like this:
    VW-GOLF-3-III-2-0-ABF-16V-PRZEWOD-WODY-1H0121101E.jpg

11. AleeexGF New Member

Lambda from 2e is same as on abf?

12. rubjonny

yep the 2e lambda will work, just may have a different plug depending on the age of the 2e and abf looms. can swap the plug over from the 2e loom to get it matched up though

AleeexGF likes this.
  13. AleeexGF New Member

Another question! The oil filter mount from 2e fit on abf? Is possible to have problems to fit the exhaust if this screw is ripped? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  14. rubjonny

yep the oil filter housing will swap over, and you'll want to swap out the sheared studs out as you'll likely get an exhaust leak if you cant tighten all the nuts down

15. AleeexGF New Member

Another question i have.. the engine sit for 3 years no started. It’s recommended to change head gasket and other simmerings i have ?

16. AleeexGF New Member

If i don’t have this airbox with this sensor can i improve to attach this sensor on my 2e airbox? And another question.. i bought just engine, engine loom and ecu. Which parts i need and don’t fit from 2e?

17. rubjonny

you shouldn't need to worry about the head gasket so long as its been stored semi-dry, take the plugs out to check the condition and shine a torch down the bores make sure it doesn't look rusty inside. look down the inlet and exhaust ports etc.

I would replace all the belts on the outside of course, plus rocker cover gasket while its apart.

for inlet temp sensor what I did on a friends MK2 while we searched for the right airbox was just poke it in the hole round the back of the airbox for the warm air feed for the exhaust, worked just fine.

not a lot else you can keep from the 2e, you could swap the alternator and bracket over if you like but keep the crank pulley from the abf. pas pump setup is the same either way so if nothing else I'd strip the 2e stuff off and keep for spares.

18. AleeexGF New Member

Engine stored in garden just covered with just a wrap. So don’t need to change head gasket and valve seals?[​IMG]

19. rubjonny

unless you see any kind of corrosion inside the engine you'll usually be fine :)

the fuel rail looks to have been left open, might be an idea to split it open to clean out the inside

20. AleeexGF New Member

So if i have clean inside engine (under rocket cover and sparks) it’s ok to put on my car ? Engine have 90.000 km! [:D]