Taking ABF out of donor '95 Golf, what loom/ECU etc. parts do I need to save?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ralphead, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Ralphead New Member

I'm really sorry if this is covered in detail elsewhere, I've looked but can't find what I need to know.

I'm going to put an ABF in my K-Jet Corrado and whilst I'm not planning to put the engine management in it I do want to keep the complete setup just in case. Easier to supercharge as a friend said..

I've dropped the entire subframe complete with engine and 'box out of my donor Golf. I have not cut any wires and have left the under bonnet loom complete in the car.

I need to know what parts are hidden in the car that I need to keep. So far I assume the ECU in the scuttle and the OBD port from the dash. I don't actually know if the car has an immobiliser (I assume it makes a difference?). It does have an after-market alarm in case that helps.

If there are any other things that are easy to overlook please tell me, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. L33mox

L33mox Paid Member Paid Member

Immobiliser depends on year , look on steering column should be a black transponder if so trace wires to box keep all wires plus obd port , don't forget to mark all plugs on wire loom so you know where they go , plus fuse box end plus take fuse box as you need relays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ralphead New Member

Excellent, thank you.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the style of engien loom also depends on year, pre-96 the ecu loom is separate so just pull that out. post-96 the lighting loom is bundled in so that comes out with it. no biggy either way process is the same just means you have to split the lighting loom out of it later.

the immo loom comes out without the need for cutting anything, its awkward but you'll get there. vagcom port is integrated into the dash loom, but with patience you can get it out nicely. Chase the yellow and grey./white wires from it back to the jumper block and remove all that, you can cut the yellow if you want the abf doesnt need it all you need is the grey/white. chaser the red/white and brown to the splice points into the ciggy lighter wires and snip, thats all you need from the donor

the ignition and stalk looms are worth having as they are mostly the same as corrado, good for repairing any past bodges. just if its got the dual chamber lights the flasher stalk bit differs, but you'll see once you compare them. apart from that its all mostly different, but you could drag it all out just in case you need spare wire to repair any previous damage in your corrado loom

this is what you'll have once you got the immo and vagcom port bits out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ralphead New Member

Thanks. I got the ecu to fusebox loom out complete, it does have the light circuit in it which is a shame. The car's on an N reg so I suppose it's more likely to be a '96 build.

I found and removed an immobiliser ignition barrel pick up and box like the ones pictured.

I'll go back for the OBD and immobiliser looms today as I ran out of light yesterday.

I think the shell can probably stay 'til Monday so today I'll photograph everything I've taken out by the end of today and double check I have everything if that's alright?

6. rubjonny

sure thing, but you have all you need by the sound of it :thumbup:

7. Shawnoen New Member

Do the 1994 year have an immobilizer at all?

8. rubjonny

It came in around 95 onwards, whats the part number on your ecu?

9. Shawnoen New Member

I have not received the car yet but it is a 1994 model year. I assume no immobilizer then.

10. rubjonny

unlikely if its a complete running donor :)