The ICE Register - Protect Your ICE!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by BagPuss, Aug 16, 2006.

1. BagPuss

BagPuss Forum Member

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon this site The ICE Register while looking for seperate ICE Insurance and thought what a good idea.

With the ever increasing ICE available nowadays and like most I want to protect it as I've had my Scirocco broken into 3 times (Long time ago now) and now spending a fortune getting the Galaxy ICE installed as well, I want to protect it as much as possible and the Scirocco when it comes out.

So.....

The ICE Register is a privately-owned organisation, started by three friends in early 2006. The ICE Register is not owned or operated by any of the companies or dealers mentioned on the website; they're completely independent, and run by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts!

They have three simple aims:

1) To help you to secure your valuable equipment;
    2) To make it harder for thieves to sell stolen equipment;
    3) To identify stolen equipment, and get it back to the rightful owner as soon as possible.

So is this not a good idea?

It's free for membership unless you want to upgrade in which case its only 5.
    So as i want to list the Scirocco ICE as well, I paid via PayPal.

I personally think this should be a sticky as it could be a valuable database we could all benefit from if it ever happened to us and the more people get to hear about it the better for everyone.

2. tt509 Forum Member

nice one mate shane

3. mk1_andy New Member

i havent really looked at the site so not sure if this is true but while i was reading it i had a thought....

say im a theif (im not really but...) if i hear a car going round surely all ive got to do is look for said car on the iceregister and see what goodies im going to get when i break into it?

i really dont want to put a downer on this because it sounds like a great concept... just not convinced i want to let everyone know what audio i have in my car...

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

you cant see what other people have you can only see what you have so a theif couldnt log on and browse cars for ice.

also if your stuff is on the ice register, then it will probably be uv marked and the serial numbers taken down, at least this way it would be harder to sell on (albeit not impossible) and easier for you to get it back if found

also they offer insurance at a reasonable rate which gives you alot of piece of mind

5. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

If I was buying ICE from ebay or local classifieds, I would never bother to check the serial numbers or check it for any UV marking - I'm not bothered to be honest, as long as it works in my car then that's fine.

Am I worried that I might be handling stolen goods? Well, I've never had a copper looking in my boot with his UV light to be honest, so I wouldn't even think about it.

Matt.

6. Effi New Member

Good points made, its a great idea although paying for something like that seems wrong. I know they have running costs but surely this is an initiative that the dealers/manufacturers should be supporting not joe public who just wants to attempt to protect his ICE in any way he can.

Personally the best way to prevent your stuff going missing is to fit it properly, bolt the amps down with anti theft bolts, strap your sub box to the floor or something along those lines. If someone hasn't managed to remove what they are after in the first minute or 2 they'll leave it and move on, especially if you have an alarm screaming out for help.

Saw the initiative a while a go and if the big players out there aren't subsidising it then they obviously don't give a damn about the equipment once its been sold so I've kept away from it and found my own ways to stop the thieving scum from getting my equipment.

I have a full install which is on general display as my car is stripped, only ever had one person break in (touch wood) and because of the way I fitted one of my TV's ended up damaging it rather than removing it, much prefer to have a broken Tv rather than it being in the hands of a pikey c*nt sellin it down the local boozer.