THE Mk2 Golf Definitive Wide Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Admin Guest

Have the subframes from the various cars been measured between the front wishbone mountings? Or is this assumed? I know the subframes vary with age, changes in mountings for engine etc but do the distances stay the same? A small change would alter track and wheelbase.

Just thinking aloud as the track in the mk3 alters by 21mm but the driveshafts are 19mm making a small difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah this has all been measured elsewhere :thumbup:

3. rubjonny

in fact, the thread is linked on the 1st page of this thread ;)

4. Admin Guest

Yep just read the thread, :thumbup: many thanks. Well all this w ork puts slot of questions to bed. Well done all involved :clap:

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What's the benefit in widetracking , as felt from the driver's seat? Is it something you'd notice only when hammering along on a track , or is it something that would make the car nicer on back roads?

And , unless I'm as thick as I suspect , is it the case that GTIs are Narrower at the rear than boggo models? The CL listed at 1376mm? Why so?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Reasons to do it:

1) Aesthetics (aka 'stance' :o)
    2) Centre of gravity versus weight transfer

[​IMG]

And I suppose because you can, percevied upgrade from later models and all that.

Quite where it started in VW circles, I don't know. Wheel spacers are nothing new, but all I remember was rally cars in the mid '90s being wide tracked, and if you look back in time, they all were made wider for tarmac. But by the time you got to 1997, the Megane kit cars were getting too wide for the lanes in Ireland.

Anyway, I digress. Really our applications are B-road and track day / race.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Chris.

8. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Im wide tracking at the moment but i dont like the mk3 anti roll bar with the little links on the end wich bolt onto a rather flimsey bent tab on the wishbone. so my question is can you use mk3 (Think 4 stud wishbones) and the anti roll bar wich is the same as mk2 these are bolted further into the wishbone with a more substancial link hope this comes accross right, the picture below is the type i want to use.
    [​IMG]

9. danster Forum Addict

From your description of the anti-rollbar and little drop links it sounds like you are using 5 stud parts from a mk3 GTI. If this is the case then swapping only the wishbone and anti-rollbar for a mk3 4 stud setup will not work with the 5 stud uprights / hubs. This is because the balljoints are further forward on the 5 stud arrangement. The 3 bottom balljoint mounting holes are slightly different bolt spacings too.
    You could get a male and female rose joint and make your own drop links for the 5 stud type arb.

10. rubjonny

use passat B4 5 stud wishbones, they have 5 stud fixing on the end so work on 5stud bearing carriers, and use MK2/3 Golf 4 stud wishbone fixings :thumbup:

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Contemplating a change to 5 stud as I will have all the bits shortly.

I currently run Passat 4 stud wide track. I will be getting Golf Mk3 5 stud wide track parts. If I've read the chart correctly, I need to do the following:

1. Swap hubs for 5 stud versions.
    2. Change outer CV on drive shaft. Keep the actual drive shaft.

I'm using tubular wishbones, so I don't need to change them, or the ball joint.

That's it? [:s]

12. Admin Guest

Is the passat ball joint straight up or at an angle like the mk3 5 stud?

13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've just checked ETKA, 2 listed on the passat

1H0 407 365 for the VR6, AAA/ABF/AFN engines on a '95 , same part being listed on golf VR6's & other engine codes that would tally with wide track setup (PR 2E1 - Plus suspension)

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I thought they were straight up, but looks like they're the same according to Chris. I'll check next time I can see.

So apart from the hubs, outer CVs and maybe ball joints, that's it?

15. Admin Guest

Do your wishbones have provision to adjust castor? The 5 stud wishbones sit further forward compared to 4 straight up ball joint wishbones (this also depends on your ball joint and may not be a problem).

16. rubjonny

if your bones are for 4 stud setup then you need to change them, or deal with the change in castor.

the other option is press out the hub from the 5 stud bearing carriers and fit them to yourt old bearing carriers. then either redrill discs or fit early passat vr6 discs if you have 280s

the passat 5 stud wishbones are different on the later models, they have the offset balljoint as per mk3 but use 4 stud roll bar fitting. on the early passat vr6 they use 4 stud wishbones and bearing carriers but with a 5 stud hub, hence the early passat vr6 specific 280mm disc that works

1H0 407 365 ball joint is only fitted to the later passat 5 stud with the mk3 5 stud bearing carriers

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

As above, I'm using tubular wishbones, so they can be ignored.
    [​IMG]

So it looks like hubs, outer CVs and possibly ball joints. I'll see what happens when it's together and the caster is set.

Just to confirm the driveshafts are OK with the new outer CV length wise?

18. Admin Guest

The ball joint hole spacing differs from 4 stud to 5 stud you may need to mod your wishbones to accommodate the 5 stud ball joints. Also check how much castor adjustment you ave in those wishbones, you don't want to over stretch them leaving only minimal threads in Rose joints - as I say may not be an issue but something to check. Think the 5 stud ball joint sits over 10mm further to the front of the car.

19. Admin Guest

Edit to my above, the 5 stud ball joint sits around 18/19mm forward of the hub centreline, think the 4 stud ball joint is near central. Therefore your wishbones will need to be able to move the ball joint 18/19 forward otherwise, A you want gain he caster benefit and B the wheel will sit further back in the arch.

20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That I didn't know. Bu99er.

There is loads of caster ajustment available, I'm currently running 5*. There is more adjustment available on the arms, but the wheel won't go any further forward in the arch.
    Hopefully there'll be enough with the 4 stud ball joint, but we'll have to see.