The ROLLCAGE thread

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by PhatVR6, Jan 30, 2007.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

About time we had a dedicated one eh?

Post up as many pics as you can find for inspiration, the more extreme the better.

Discuss rollcages here also, idea being, if you type rollcage or rollcages into the search you get this thread.

Also, any contacts of companies who make or supply rollcages, post em up. Free plug for these guys in the hope they'll give me a discount!

http://www.protectionandperformance.co.uk/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

6. IanCarvell Forum Member

Thats my Lupo!!!!

And boy did that cage save my life!!!!

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

any pics of it after the accident? not for the gorey details sake of it, but to see how the cage held out.

8. IanCarvell Forum Member

Unfortunately I didn't take any, but Roger from custom cages actually came over to take a look at the car to see how the cage stood up to it, so no doubt it formed part of the learning process, but I know if it hadnt been for one particular beam in the cage I would have had badly badly broken legs from the wheel coming through the wheel arch.

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

That's why Ken (Lark) speaks so highly of Custom cages, said he sold a corrado (I think) to a young lad, and he binned it on the first race, launched it end over end, a few cars hit it and it still looked like a corrado when it landed.

Rough details, you'll probably know the story more accurately Ian.

10. POL

pol Forum Member

some nice ROLLCAGES there. ;) i can't help but think some of the cages people get done are overkill for the purpose the car will be used for. that blue one(bmw?) above is absolutely bonkers. the car must have serious power to haul that much steel about!

i got my cage from rollcentre, www.rollcentre.co.uk in some ways i wish i got it done by them as it was a serious ball ache to do. also kinda glad i done it myself, probably nowhere near their standards though. i've got a tube notcher i can possibly loan out if required...

11. IanCarvell Forum Member

The multi point ones that are on here are probably made from T45 steel so end up lighter than the 6 point bog standard cages that you buy off the shelf.

The steel is so much stronger that you can use 1.5mm wall thickness(i think) on the main hoop rather than 2.5mm with CDS.

So they look massively heavy, but are actually very very light.

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Good info there. Most cages are CDS. I see that custom cages list both steels for some of their applications.

13. POL

pol Forum Member

thought they might be t45. heard a few stories about guys in the scottish xr2 championship having cages built with t45 (& considerable amounts of cash) to save a extra kilos and get them to the top of the leaderboard.

i am all for safety first. i reckon if i find a great mk1 shell i'll save the pennies and go the whole hog on it. a proper t45 climbing frame.

talking of climbing frames, it was rude not to when the roof was off...
    [​IMG]

14. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

T45 costs a fortune over CDS here's a few of my own basic cage in my audi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, that's where it went - I knew there were two of them at one stage.

Lark's right, Lee Wharton, left:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

18. IanCarvell Forum Member

Most cages are CDS these days because that is all that is recognised in the MSA Blue Book, as soon as you start using T45 it is no longer applicable to section Q of the the book and has to have a roll cage certificate. Getting a certificate these days is @1000 job on top of the initial cost of the cage....thats why it is reserved for BTCC and works rally teams now.

I might be wrong about this, but I am sure they have written in that you have to put a 6mm drill hole somewhere in the cage so they can check the wall thickness to make sure it isn't T45.

19. NormanCoal Forum Member

That is indeed my jetta - proper custom job, Robinson Racecars do all sorts of work like that, and he has a great deal of experience also. I should also add that they are cheaper than custom cages........but still not to the level of a bolt in affair

20. Kam Racing New Member