The things that past owners do or don't do !!!

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, May 26, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Yesterday was about removing CV shafts,went to disconnect drivers side and found only 2 bolts were done up to about half torque,rest were finger tight with one having a broken 12 point snapped off in the bolt !!!,luckily none of the bolts were bent or had bad threads,a couple were chewed out but I have plenty of spare ones.
    I have removed the left hand side one and tied the drivers side up and out of the way ,think that should do for clearance but its been a while since I have done this.
    Added pics of car taken last year,cheers.

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

were lucky there!

3. davidut5 Forum Member

A while ago a friend had a diesel b2 passat with a similar problem. Those bolts got loose after some driving, don't really know what the problem was.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I forgot to tighten mine up properly once, blew a hole in the gearbox :/

5. watercooled Forum Member

Yep ,luckily the car has had little use since I bought it,I always do them up with a torque wrench....32ft/lbs from memory.
    Found loose bolts in other area's so no question the motor has been out before.

6. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

checked mine the other night after doing a few hundred miles since some changes and the passenger side ones were all not torqued anymore, some finger loose. So took them out, added some locktite and re did them all.

7. watercooled Forum Member

Got the old motor and box out of the car today,never done a front off but went well ,built a engine dolly with casters to sit the whole lot on,worked well and got the engine on my chainblock to remove gearbox,what a horrible mess it is ...will need a good clean up not to mention the engine space which is really grubby also.
    Plan to pull sections of engine loom and re-wrap with loom tape and clean all the oil off the rest,some of it is a bit crappy but not butchered .

Last edited: May 28, 2021