THE VW Temperature sender values range and colours, mix and match guide.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Admin, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

Hi all.

As a good few of use know there are a variety of different sender units for oil and water temps, the colours and the values of these senders is not always reflective of colour. I would like to collate as much actual data on the senders (as opposed to guessing or i believe so...)

If you select a sender that has a different temp rating and value to your gauge (water temp, MFA, VDO's etc) and wire it in the gauge will work but will either over or under read.

The main reason want to compile this information is for people who want to alter what a gauge reads. For example some people might want to have the MFA read water temp instead of oil. They will need to therefore match the gauge to the correct sender, sometimes the wiring will also have to be re routed.

The table covers the senders that look like this.

[​IMG]

I have used ETKA for most of the Part numbers and then some of the sensors I have lying around.

Part No.Colour Temp Range Engine Vehicle Use Gauge Location/Notes
    1H0919563 White 0-150GTI/16v/VR6 Golf MK3 Oil MFA Oil filter housing
    027919501/ 049919501 Black 0-125 Most Golf MK1/2/3 Water Coolant Temp Coolant flange (8v) Side of head (16v)
    049919563A White 0-150 GTI Golf MK1/2 Oil MFA Oil filter housing (8v) Rear of head (16v)
    049919563B Light Blue 0-180 Most Various Audi 80/90/etc Oil VDO 52mm oil gauge side of head near exhaust manifold or oil filter housing

Please can you add to the data already gathered and if you spot anything incorrect let me know! Tom.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  2. Funky Diver Forum Member

Oddly enough... I have equally been looking for the ACTUAL voltage values for some of these today, including Lambda... will continue to dig, should come in handy for fault diagnosis I'm sure :)

3. Admin Guest

027 919 501 AUDI 200 This part number is bugging me, my ETKA says it does not exist, I have found it online and I have found it here on the club stating it is MK2 KR 16v standard sender - I am unsure if it is as the only vehicle I can pin it on is the AUDI 200. [:s]

Edit found it here also assiciated only with Audi. Looks like it was superceeded by 049 919 501.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  4. Admin Guest

This is interesting as the MFA 049 919 563 A is rated as 1-150 by Chris. But ETKA rates it as 0-180. The MK3 MFA sender is rated as a 0-150 and we know the 0-150 VW does not work with the 0-180 Audi Gauge.

Could ETKA be wrong? Is the sender actually 0-150? What is marked on the side of 049 919 563 A ? is it 150 or 180? Can someone read of one of these sensors for use please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  5. Admin Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  6. Funky Diver Forum Member

Them's the puppies [:D]

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

heres some info i have
    027 919 501 black collar 120*(temp,ISV and FEI)KR
    049 919 563A white collar 180*(oil temp for KR)

Auto data test for temp senders
    -20* - 6.5k ohms
    0* -2.5k ohms
    20* - 1k ohms
    40* -450 ohms
    60* -250 ohms
    80* -140 ohms
    100* -100 ohms

8. Admin Guest

I have been out messing with different senders and gauges to work out what rating each gauge is.

I was using a brand new VDO 50-150 oil temp gauge to give a base line figure. I swapped around sensors and the my custom loom so I could test them all.

The VDO Oil 50-150 Gauge worked on the 150 VDO sensors I have. With water at around 90 deg on this gauge the clock water temp with a 50-125 gauge was also reading 90+-deg. The MFA gauge was then hooked up to a White 049 919 563 A but the reading was way off (possible Duff sender). So I connected it to the 0-150 and it to read 90deg +- a couple of degrees.

So..

Dash Coolent Gauge uses a 0-125 sensor. Therefore a 50-125 Gauge.
    Brand New VDO 50-150 Gauge uses a 0-150 sensor. Therefore a 50-150 Gauge.
    And my MFA uses a 0-150 sensor. Therefore a 50-150 Gauge.

This would make sense as the MK3 Golf MFA uses a 150 sender, the White senders Chris had were marked 0-150. I would also expect the MFA to only be a 50-150 oil gauge just like the New VDO oil gauge I have. This would also explain why the 049 919 563 A white sender does not work with the 60-170 VDO gauges.

But this goes against what ETKA says about the White 049 919 563 A being 0-180. My White sender marked 049 919 563 A did not have a value marked onto it.

Rubjonny and Co what am I missing? and what do you know? does it confirm what I have found?

Im assuming the MK2 Coolent gauge goes up 20deg intervals from 50 - 70 - 90 - 110 - 130 same as the MK3? My coolent gauge was sitting bang on half way which would be 90deg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

027 919 501 is indeed superceeded by 049 919 501, and is black, single pin, 0-125

I'm not sure on the MK2 white sensor being 0-180 or 0-150, i was pretty sure it was 0-180 and worked with vw 180 degree vdo oil gauges as well as the MFA. the MK3 MFA sensor is a different part number, I'm not sure if that means the MK2/3 senders are incompatible of if vw jhust switched to fitting a 0-150 sender for the MFA. I will look thru my random spares boxes later to see if i have any old mk2 mfa sensors in stock

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'm not sure how significant the 'temperature range' markings on these things might be.

AFAIK, these senders are all NTC thermistors, which are characterised mainly by their resistance at 25C (R25) and the slope of the resistance change with temperature (B-value).

Some info here.

[​IMG]

Now the trouble is, although you can measure the 25C resistance pretty well with a digital multimeter, I don't think we'll find published numbers for the B value. This can be determined experimentally, again with a DMM, or at least spot-checked at two or three temperatures for comparison with other senders.

The temperature range markings may indicate some compatibility; but the R25 and B values being the same is the only way I'd be confident of functional interchangeability.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. rubjonny

yep it seems ETKA is wrong, both my MK2 white MFA sensors have 150 on the side :thumbup:

12. Admin Guest

Thanks John that is good to know. :thumbup:

13. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Just ordered a 1H0 919 563 oil temp sender from my local dealer, to run with an aftermarket 50-150degs VDO gauge. Just checked the table at the top of this thread again and it appears there are two with the same part number, one with a white collar and the other with a black collar (mine's to go on an ABF).

Should I have specified which I wanted or will both have the same fitment and output the same 0-150degs scale?

14. rubjonny

table has a mistake as both are listed with the same part number, or sensor was an aftermarket jobber with wrong colour collar on it

15. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

just got 049919563A from the dealers
    it has a white ish (very light green) collar and is marked 24v180 ELTH on the side, so etka is right when it says 0-180, the only others marks on it are the part number vw-audi logos and 02-08.

john

16. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Hi Gents,

Hopefully you can help me here, the MFA in my Mk3 16v has stopped showing oil temp, and I fear it is overheating (strangely no coolant temp rise) so I'm looking to replace the sensor to determine the actual oil temp. I've done a lot of searching and I'm more confused at which sensor I need than I was before I started the search.

I was under the impression the sensor I am looking for is the first most picture in this thread. It has a little green/yellow coloured connector, rather that the spade/rubber booted type, and (from what I can remember) is located lower left in the oil filter/housing. However, from following the part numbers given in this thread, websites are showing 1H0 919 563 as coolant temp sensor.
    Then there is the other option (049 919 563) which looks to be a completely different connection type, but states it's an oil temp sensor.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction as I'd like to make sure my engine isn't overheating!

Cheers,
    Carl

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The strange round connection on the 049 919 563 sensor does actually take the same spade receptacle crimp as the more familiar spade connections, it just goes on a different way, as per the yellow-circled one in the image in this post from the Vortex.

18. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

19. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Isn't what's inside that plastic housing just a quarter-inch spade receptacle?
    If it is, you could just ditch the housing completely, or cut away a little slot in one of the sides to allow it to fit as shown.
    If it isn't that sort of 1/4" receptacle, you could soon replace what's on there with one.

20. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Cheers Pete. I did think this myself, but wanted to confirm.

My main issue is if I'm looking at the right sensor? I can chop and add connectors if I have to, I just want to make sure I'm ordering/replacing the right sensor!

Thanks for all the help dude.