Thoughts on an entry level SLR for beginner - Nikon D3200?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by G-Man, Dec 25, 2012.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Looking to get an entry level SLR which will allow me to improve my pictures gradually and after having a 'play' with one in the shops and looking at feedback online I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D3200.

It was very easy to use and didn't feel to bulky to hold, however with a budget around 400 for the body and basic lens (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/nikon-d3200-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55-mm-vr-zoom-lens-wireless-remote-and-battery-20058361-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~(dtp)_cameras_brand_Nikon~Nikon_d3200_Cameras_phrase~Generic&mctag=gg_goog_7904&ef_id=UKkigAAAXPKDdwv5:20121225142426:s) has anyone got any other recommendations from the likes of Canon, Pentax, Sony or other? I'm willing to up the budget to nearer the 500 however I don't want a camera that I won't be able to get to grips with straight away.

Also there seems to be a debate about the older D5100 can be had for the same price?

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

does it have to be brand new?
    and if so, why? lol

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

4. WEZ

although some of that is spot on re: the more expensive cameras just giving you better features, he does contradict himself with the 3100/3200/5100 argument.

IMO - 2nd hand is the way to go,

Pentax K-r (great low-light/high iso, great dynamic range, built in AF, built in IS, fast shooting, long battery life)
    Canon 60D (pentaprism viewfinder, super long battery life, built in AF)
    Nikon D90 (built in AF, super long battery life, great low light/high iso, pentaprism viewfinder)

Then d5100/3200, I personally think the D90 is better than both of these, these don't have in built auto-focusing or image stabilization, however, they're the only negatives, the canon doesn't have IS either.

If you want brand new, then it's 3200/5100 (5100 has flip out screen, pretty much only noticeable difference) as they can't be beaten on price.
    2nd hand, for me, toss up between K-r and D90, I went K-r [:D]

K-r sample shot:

[​IMG]
    view from vesuvius by wes84k, on Flickr

D90 sample shot:

[​IMG]
    goodwood - red arrows by wes84k, on Flickr

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Yes it is a good camera has far than enough settings and features to keep you creative for years

think the D5100 is a bigger, heavy unit, for most newbies like a easy to lug around unit, if your still not sure go and have another play

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

The D5100 has a much more advanced sensor than the other models mentioned, IS / VR are virtually redundant given its high ISO capabilities and quality. The newer cameras have useful automatic features which make them far better dSLRs for beginners. If picture quality is of interest, then the d5100 is a very sorted camera and a good investment. The other models can't produce images like this:

[​IMG]

straight from the camera. One massive advantage for Nikon is the user guides at Kenrockwell nikon d3100users-guide. These will provide you with the model specific settings needed to get the thing singing straight away. It would take a beginner years to arrive at these settings using trial and error.

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand unless i knew the vendor personally, IMO you need a fair bit of experience and knowledge to navigate the 2nd hand budget dSLR market successfully. Also given the virtual free-fall prices on new cameras, the end of line prices are very hard to beat in investment terms.

7. WEZ

What a load of *******s :s
    In what way is the 5100 sensor more advanced?
    And if you can't take a photo like that on any of the other cameras, you're doing something wrong.
    Sure the newer cameras have modern features and better video camera capabilities, but once you crack the d90's extra feature set when you become a little more advanced, it'll be well worth it, it doesn't command strong 2nd hand prices for no reason, It's a proven classic.
    Tbh, all the cameras mentioned are more than capable image wise.

And the 2nd market is fine, use London camera exchange if you don't like eBay, good prices there and a chance to try the cameras out.

8. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I'm afraid that's a sweeping statement that almost certainly won't apply in this case.

Most car enthusiasts like to take photos of cars - including cars moving.

IS/VR allows you to shoot a slower shutter speed than you normally would hand-held. If you're shooting action photography you often want to keep the shutter speed low and pan with the action to create some background blur.

All that high ISO does is allow you to use a faster shutter speed for a given aperture. Which is the last thing you want for action photography as you not only freeze the background but also freeze things like wheels on moving cars. Essentially you end up with a series of shots of a car parked on a racetrack.

I am a big fan of learning to hand hold a camera properly and learning to pan properly. In fact I'm not bad at it. But even so if I could get 1 or 2 stops of shutter speed slower "for free" without losing any sharpness of the subject.

So no - high ISO ability does not eliminate the benefits of VR/IS

Wez - welcome to the best kept secret in photography - all the cool kids shoot Pentax.

9. WEZ

Haha, cheers dex, although for some reason I thought you had a canon :o

10. mark25 Forum Junkie

To the OP: the Nikon d5100 kit camera comes with a lens that has VR (vibration reduction) as standard.

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - I'm not entering into the debate, as I'm only familiar with what I've got (D300 Nikon) and I think either of those models should suit you fine.

What I would advise, if you're looking into buying a (any) DSLR and hoping to learn to use it properly (as opposed to auto modes), is to join your local camera club. There's bound to be at least one somewhere near where you live.

And you'll more than likely find that you'll be amongst other enthusiasts who'll be more than willing to show you how to do things. And you'll get to see/learn things that you'd never have dreamed of doing - there's more to photography than shooting VWs! ;)

For example, the club I belong to in Nottingham does lots of competitions (both internally and with other clubs, lectures on all sorts of things - how to shoot sport/birds/astronomy, black & white, studio stuff. We have nights out and a club long weekend each autumn to somewhere picturesque. And there's always someone willing to let you try their lens/tripod/filters/whatever before you commit to buying it yourself.

It's a bit like the continual debate on here (8v v 16v) in that there's always a Nikon contingent (yay!) and the delusional ones who use Canons. I've even heard that something called a Pentax can shoot a half-way decent picture! ;)

And there's the social side of it too. Most clubs will let you have a visit or two to try them out before you commit to join. The club I belong to costs 48 pa plus 1 each week (for tea/coffee) and I think that's pretty good value for what I've learned over the last three years. (I might even tackle some landscape stuff now I've acquired a decent s/h wide-angle lens.) :)

Don't forget though, that as soon as you've announced on here that you've bought yourself a DSLR, we'll be expecting stunning quality photographs from you within the next few weeks! lol

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  12. DEX

Canon make photocopiers

Pentax make precision optics

Who's camera do you think I'd buy?

One of the other advantages of the Pentax that was suggested is that the IS/VR is built into the camera body - so you only have to buy it once. Where you have IS/VR built into the lens you buy it each time you buy a new lens. I'm sure the camera manufacturers find that hilarious to sell you the same thing several times over.

13. WEZ

plus that Pentax have used the k mount since like the 70's, so there's is hundreds upon hundreds of lens available from film days for decent prices

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

lol a lot of technical terms I need to read up on being used above! I'm happy to go 2nd hand but a D90 second hand from London Camera Exchange in my local branch is 299 for the body, whereas a new D3200 can be had for 364 after the current cashback offer.

I went to a currys to compare the Canon D600 and Nikon D3200, but both had no power to them to have a look around the menu and get a feel with so when I go some time one weekend I'll go to the local Jessops to have a better feel with them without all the cable ties and clamps around them.

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Ahh funnily enough I was looking at some of the various low end Canon DSLR's and noticed one of them did not state it had 'VR' but never took much noticed - I really need to look at the detailed specs rather than the micky mouse marketing stuff

16. DEX

I'm not up to speed on the entire Canon/Nikon range - but from what I've seen they tend to put the VR/IS in the lenses.

Pentax put it in the camera body.

17. WEZ

299 for the body is actual a good price lol

18. Delyth Forum Member

And above all - don't forget that Canon owns Nikon ;)

19. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Myth!

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

An ex boss of mine teaches digital photography now - retirement business. He reckons that Sony-Minoltas are a good entry level digital SLR. I used a borrowed one on his course, as well as my digital compact, and found it pretty easy to use.

Link, in case you're interested in lessons... http://electriclandscape.com