Thoughts on an entry level SLR for beginner - Nikon D3200?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by G-Man, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Admin Guest

I use a Sony Alpha and I do like how easy they are to use. I got one as I didn't want to replace all my lenses I had with my old 35mm Minolta so it was a painless move to digital.

You can get them pretty cheap.

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

Haven't had a chance to look properly at any further models as need to sit down and do some bed time reading and price up the various models as i know a family friend who is a pro photography made a comment about Pentex cameras being very good and not praised enough so looking down that avenue as not looking to constantly change the camera so would like a solid 3-5 years at of it.

3. lufbramatt Forum Member

I got my fiance a D3100 for christmas after I broke her fuji compact by dropping it on the floor of the science museum [:x] . It worked out to 265 after the cashback, got it from amazon.

I've got a 6 year old D70s which I still love using and is perfectly capable of taking lovely pictures when you put a decent lens on it. But I have been really impressed with the little D3100. My other half was able to pick it up straight away and take some cool pictures. It has a clever display on the back which shows the aperture opening/closing as you adjust the F stop, same with the shutter speed, and gives the user a better understanding of the relationship between them. It has good built in guides that show the basics of how to set the camera up for different situations rather than just having scene modes that do it for you.

I would say however that the build quality is nowhere near that of the D90, even my old D70s feels more solid than the D3100. So I'm not sure if it will last as long. My D70 has been lugged all around snowdonia and the lakes in the top of my rucksack, used in the rain and stood on top of a tripod in the middle of flowing streams and eats it all up.

At the end of the day all you can change is the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus and aperture, how you arrive at those settings is as much down to the photographer as the fancy sounding stuff on the camera. I learnt to use an SLR with one of my Dad's old Canon AE1p cameras which has aperture priority, shutter priority and manual, plus manual focus, and that was your lot. I find most of the fancy stuff on new cameras is just there for marketing so don't be too bowled over by extra features you'll never use. Even VR isn't that much use when you're panning the camera.

I'd say either go for a D3100 at the best price you can find and put the rest of your 500 towards a half decent telephoto lens (I've got a 70-300VR which is great for motorsport and airshows etc, great value lens, very sharp) or go down the 2nd hand D90 route (will be top end of your budget once you've got a lens, although you'll be able to choose something more suited to your needs than the kit lens). Once you outgrow the D3100 a upgrade body isn't that much and your lenses will be compatible. Not sure I would pay top dollar for a D3200 at the moment as the prices will come down loads when they announce the D3300 . . .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Here's a slightly different tack to most ways of looking at it...

To start with forget about the camera body and think about the lenses. The best Canon pro body, with the 18-55mm stock lens on the front will take worse photos than the a 5 year old entry level Canon body with an L series lens.

Buying (and eventually upgrading) your camera body is one of the smaller expenses in photography. It's the glass that you should be spending the money on - if your lenses are worth less than the camera body you've got the priorities wrong.

So choose a brand that allows you to upgrade the body without needing to replace all your lenses (some lenses work fine with full frame and cropped sensors, some don't. Some manufacturers stick with one sensor size and some use a range) If you pick a brand that lets you keep your lenses when you upgrade the body then you can spend the money on glass and know it's a long term investment.

For example modern Pentax bodies will let you use Pentax lenses from the 1970s onwards. That's a lot of high quality glass available (yes, the manual focus lenses will still only be manual focus, but autofocus lenses from 35mm cameras will still work correctly) I'm sure the same applies with some other brands too, but I've not got sufficient experience in that depth to know for sure.

If anyone tells you a Nikon is better than a Canon, or a Pentax is better than a Fuji then they are talking cr4p. No one brand is "better" it's a matter of picking the brand that ticks your priorities. *Personally* I'd be looking at the lenses I'd be wanting to start off with, and then progress onto, and seeing which brand that leads you to.

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

^ Dex is spot on. It's all about the glass. A pin-sharp lens on an old 6mp camera body will give an image that can be blown up huge and printed out and still look great when a photo off a brand new 14+mp camera with a crappy lens will look fuzzy whatever you do.

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

They are correct.
    But still, go Pentax lol

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

I think a lot of people who contributed to this thread may have missed the word "beginner", in the thread tittle. Real photographic "beginners", would be well advised to ignore this thread and search the internet for something like: "best dSLR for beginners".

8. DEX

If the OP is planning on staying as a beginner forever then that's absolutely right.

However people sometimes have a habit of enjoying photography and wanting to get into it more and more. At that point they either find they've bought a Brand/Model that allows them a nice easy upgrade path, or that essentially they have to sell it all and start again.

Looking at what you might want in the future can help shape the decision now, saving a pile of cash along the way. For example - I see no point in spending out on lots of entry level lenses, only to want to then upgrade them in a year.

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

Some people just want a camera to deliver really nice photos, straight from the camera, in the broadest set of circumstances. As opposed to having to learn the disadvantages of early digital sensors, compensate for them in the camera and then end up having a two-stage photography proces, where every photo HAS to ba adjusted on the computer before it becomes normal.

I've just moved up from a D40 to a d5100 becuase the D40 has 95,000 clicks, so has seen better days, it says "no lens attached", sometimes, etc. I bought it for reliability! So was pleasantly shocked by it's abilitites and the difference between the generations. It also works a lot better when handed over to non-photo types and i enjoy not having the extra hassle of adjusting every photo on the computer. Obviously this is still needed in some cases.

I have a load of old MF lenses, when they come out the go on an analogue camera to get the best out of them, the d5100 has virtually stopped me jumping back to analogue....make of that what you will...

10. stella

stella Forum Junkie

To a degree, you are right but practically someone who is looking at buy a 500-ish camera to see if they can get on with 'real' photography (as opposed to just snapping) is unlikely to want or afford quality lenses. Other than 35/50mm primes, most decent lenses cost 500 upwards and if you're talking matching lens to camera (usually the best bet) then you're talking into four figures.

So let them buy their kit or second-hand or third party lenses and enjoy them. (I bet many beginners won't get too excited about a 50mm prime - you only appreciate that later). If they then really get into serious photography, that's the time to start buying the more expensive stuff and get proper use from it.

I bet value of the photography gear I've bought in the last eight years, lenses, bodies and all the other stuff, exceeds what I've spent on cars - and we all know how much they can run away with your hard-earned cash!

So Dex, I think you're optimistic (or too well paid!) and that Mark has a valid point. If someone is still at the 'I think I'd like to learn more about photography' stage, I expect most of what's been discussed above will have either confused G-Man or gone completely over the top of his head! (no disrespect to G-Man intended)

11. DEX

Sorry if my post was badly written - I wasn't trying to suggest spend a lot to start with. I was suggesting to have an idea where you might want to go in the future, as it costs a lot less to stick with a brand when you upgrade than to need to change (but only as long as you picked a brand with an upgrade path)

You can also save an absolute fortune buying second hand camera gear, for the price of a new entry level camera you can get something much better that's a few years old.

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I wouldn't dream of criticising your writing skills (I'd let Trev do that! ;) ) And it is wise to make an informed decision at the start as it can get very expensive if you decide to change camera brand and you have to buy new lenses as well as a new body.

I agree with your second point, though with the caveat that you purchase from somewhere reputable or take someone who knows with you. I have bought a few lenses from eBay and whilst they are a lot cheaper, if you don't pay enough you certainly won't get cutting edge technology or the best degree of sharpness. And sharpness is critical - you can correct almost anything in Photoshop/Lightroom/whatever, except for bad focus - I know, I've tried!

13. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

You can get good results sharpening in ps, as long as you don't use the sharpen tool.
    With regards to 2nd hand lenses, read reviews. I'm sure there are plenty of sites out there which do it, Pentax forums have a handy lens guide for Pentax and non Pentax, plus a sample gallery which you can categorize into lenses, another nice site is pixel peeper I think its called, which covers most brands.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Costco have a Canon EOS 1100D on offer this month at 299.98 inc VAT. No idea if that's a good price, but might be worth a look.

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

High pass? I've used various methods and yes, they do help but it's still not as good as pictures being reasonably sharp in the first place. What other methods do you use?

With regards to 2nd hand lenses, read reviews. I'm sure there are plenty of sites out there which do it, Pentax forums have a handy lens guide for Pentax and non Pentax, plus a sample gallery which you can categorize into lenses, another nice site is pixel peeper I think its called, which covers most brands.[/QUOTE]

I usually use Ken Rockwell's site but will look at Pixel Peeper. But even if a lens gets a good review, you've still got to hope that the original owner has taken good care of it, as servicing costs almost as much as a new lens.

16. f2 ed Forum Member

I have a Nikon D3200 and im very happy with it

17. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Ouch !!
    Dont forget that VW made the Beetle

And i have a D600 ...... ;)