Timing belt belt tool kit & auto tensioner Q

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MJA, Feb 15, 2021.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'm going to be doing my first cambelt change soon. Assuming it doesn't go bang it will be a major milestone on my mechanical learnings. It will be on an ABF engine with the later tensioner. I do have a few VWs (1.8 8v mk2, 1.9 tdi PD and a 9a 16v). Hence the need to learn this stuff myself so i can afford to keep these cars!

Will this tool kit so the job for all of them? I think for the ABF i just need that tensioner tool right - no locking pins required (just the timing marks to keep and eye on).
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-...i-Petrol-1-6-1-8-1-8T-2-0-Skoda-/302055780521

RE: the later tensioner on the ABF - just so i can get it straight in my head - I know i need to use the tensioner tool to tighten all the way to the stop and then I have to loosen it back to the marker and rotate the engine 2 times before starting. So just for my understanding... I put the tensioner on the stud, put belt on, torque to 25nm then do the adjusting of the tensioner?

Thanks!

Matt

2. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Not 100% but I have a 1.4 TDI and when I did the belt on that, one of the locking devices needed for that was similar to this
    upload_2021-2-15_21-21-50.png
    The 1.9 should be the same

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the auto tensioner needs a tool just becasue its so shallow where the pins are so the 'allen key in the hole and push' technique doesnt work. Dont nip the nut up until after you adjust tensioner, it wont turn otherwise ;) but yes twist the tensioner round all the way till the arrow hits stop, then release and nip nut up when marks align. dont technically have to turn engine over after that, but its good practice to spin it round 360 to make sure all the marks still line up. also its worth noting that after you set it to initial setting then run engine and switch off the tensioner marks can go out of alignment, this is normal. the marker should line back up while engine is running :)

kit looks ok, but only worth it if you're going to use some of the other bits and bobs

4. MJA

Thanks! And that's really good advice/experience - I can see me being too scared to restart if the tensioner didn't return to it's markers.

Sorry one last question - so you don't nip the nut up until you've set the tension, do you have to hold it on the tensioner marker with the tool whilst tightening the bolt (or does the tensioner hold itself at the tension). It will be probably all come clear when I do it as guess your pushing the tensioner to the preload postiion and backing it off that there will be resistance to hold it and the belt in position whilst tighten up the nut.

Thanks!
    Matt

5. rubjonny

yeah you hold the tensioner tool in the right place then nip, once you're actually on the car it becomes clear :)

6. MJA

7. rubjonny

no you dont need to touch the 19mm bolt, just undo the 4 allen head bolts then ribbed pulley comes off (may need puller if been on there a while)

MJA likes this.