Totally forgotten about this

Discussion in 'Music' started by dodgy, May 30, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

In my weird taste in music I have some very odd things, Belgian triphop, 80s experimental stuff, test pressing items and every variation of disgraceful by dubstar,
    Anyway, my son has my taste in music and does his own songs, and I dug out my rare Art of noise box set to show him this morning, disc one has a mk1 golf on it, completely forgot it had.

Attached Files:

valvemiester and Mk2daz like this.
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The art of noise. Can’t argue with that!

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Earlier stuff is extremely odd, but that and talking heads were the staple of my school years, not what anyone else listened to.
    May I suggest hooverphonic if you've not heard them before.

4. dodgy

And this guy, had radio airplay too.

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I like all sorts too. I love tracking down things from years ago. I'd been trying to find a track with Lauren Lavern vocals. That turned out to be Mint Royale - Don't Falter. Bonus the same album (Pop Is) has this.

Were there ever any memorable ad campaign tunes before or after the Mk5? I remember the Mk2, 3 & 5 that's it.

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Went to media museum today in Bradford, they were showing the vw ad with the lady throwing everything away, fur coat, ring etc but not the car keys, that and the tango orange man ad.

7. Finite

'Changes' the classic burn in the brain ad of a generation. Vicki Butler-Henderson mentioned seeing that ad as a teenager and 11 years later going on to own a 16v for 14 years.

Chris Evans also sited it and Paula Hamilton as the reason he'd choose a Golf R over the review subject Seat Leon SC Cupra 280. The article was later edited to "probably down to several childhood issues I've never talked about" and residuals.

I must watch the film the tune originally belonged to (O Lucky Man!) someday. It's quite quirky by the sounds of it. Never heard of Hooverphonic. It seems I'll have to resort to streamers to sample them.

dodgy likes this.
  8. dodgy

Very chilled, presents Jackie Cane is a good start.
    I also recommend trying ladytron, and the track destroy everything you touch, got a bang-crash reminiscent of new order and other 80s bands.
    If you are a fan of saint etienne I would say try and get a copy of Foxbase Beta, it's a complete remixed album of Foxbase Alpha, reworked by Richard X, the guy behind Sugababes Freak like me, and Being nobody by liberty X.

9. Finite

Cheers. I always find myself veering into Lonelady and Ladyhawke in the L's. Bang on with Saint Etienne, bought Fox Base Alpha back in the day. Really need find Beta. So far I prefer the 96 album of Hooverphonic between the two.

Shame this is the last of Tony Allen's posthumous output, but what a way to go out.

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

Saw saint etienne at hebden trades four years ago, it was a warm up for the new album (home counties) very good, small venue and were right by the stage.
    Saw public service broadcasting there too which was amazing.
    Ladyhawke is pretty cool, love black white and blue, got some signed albums too.
    If I can find something I'll pm you re beta.

Finite likes this.
  11. Finite

Coincidentally J Willgoose Esq of Public Service Broadcasting was on 6 Music this morning 2hr36min in with Mark Radcliffe. Mark always says they have the most middle class fan base at gigs. Will ever be the same again?

Thanks for the pm.

12. DJ-Tater New Member

That's some tasteful art cover work

[:D]