Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah ok, have you taken both the tin metal shields off the gearbox? bottom and one round the back? after that its a case of wiggle and tug till you can gett the driver side flange past the flywheel, bit of a git with it all in the engine bay. Yah i understand about getting the shafts off, thats the hardest part of an engine swap as you have to line them up as you push the engine and box back into the car, whilst pushing, wiggling and lifting. almost like giving birth i guess :lol:

2. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

It's a proper faff. I thought I'd remove cross member too, wrong. Siezed on, no heat to warm bolts either. Soaking in plus gas then impact driver after lunch. At the point of why did I start this?

Then I've to figure out how to mount exhaust.

And the wiring..

Time for a brew and a sandwich...:)

3. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Ok, so engine in, gearbox attatched. Fuel supply and return secured. Old loom removed in one, new loom fitted to fusebox, ecu and tci unit mounted power steering reconnected.
    Still need to figure out some coolant pipes.

Question, I do not have the pipe for MAP sensor, can I recycle the one from KR? Pipe to manifold/ecu, I know the length is important so dunno if it'll work?

4. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Wiring question. Thick black wire with thin single pin black wire goes from alternator to? Starter? What happend with single pin black plug?
    Also have blue black and black red two pin plug, where does this go?
    Have a really long black ring terminal in abf loom where does this go?
    Using 020 box and starter.

Cheers

5. twolitrepinto Forum Member

if its a really long thick black wire with ring terminal it could be the earth for TCI unit, i think i recall this from doing my loom the other day, anyway this was on Battery - on my mk2 driver, if it is the same wire

6. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

This really long thin black with ring terminal in actual loom goes to earth?

7. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

I mean battery? +/-? I'm total wiring retard. It's stunning I've got this far in the conversion tbh.

8. rubjonny

vacuum pipe to ecu i dont think the length is important, give it a go anyway.is the thin wire actually blue with a black over-sheath? if so thats the alternator charge wirte, goes to the blue wire on the engine loom near the round engine plug or the blue wire near the battery + cable (mk3 its in engine loom, mk2 its in lighting loom) red/black and blue/black is reverse switch, long black wire with ring terminal is probably the tci earth back to battery

9. Chrisrpal Events Team

I made my own VAC pipe to ECU from inlet manifold. I just made the length as required and works a treat ;)

10. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

It lives, starts & runs.
    (I caved and got a mate to help with the wiring and also helps if you have electronic fuel injection relay too!). Happy with that, thanks for all the help.

To anyone considering this it really is easier when you have the stuff in front of you.

Got the MAP sensor linked up & danster came to the rescue with a lambda loom plug.

Needs an oil change, top tip is to make sure you loosen oil filter before you put the engine in!

Few more faffy things to get done before MOT but the list is much shorter.

11. c8oky New Member

Alright fella's , I, m nearly there with the wiring on my mk2 just have a few wire's I cant identify , just wondering if anyone could help me out .
    First is a black/white from G2
    Second is a black/red from G1
    Can I bin the big brown earth ?
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/c8oky/20130907_182655.jpg
    Next is the 3 pin plug coming from the engine loom , brown/green , blue/white and black
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/c8oky/20130907_182737.jpg
    Thanks in advance guys
    This threads been a massive help

12. nbennetta New Member

Seat Ibiza Gti swap to mk 8v

13. Desmo New Member

Currently in a search for abf engine, plan is to swap everything except gearbox, airbox, clocks and coil. I have 1991 Golf 1.8 8v (non gti) with monojetronic RP engine code and AUG gearbox:

[​IMG]

Im little bit afraid of doing the wires since my only experience with it that I swapped fuse box once and installed working mfa couple of days ago, so I hope you`ll help me about that :)

Added the KR front and rear brakes, and relocated the power steering reservoir so far. Ive read this thread but didnt understand what engine mounts to use and exhaust.

What about fuel lines and outer fuel pump pressure? Haynes manual says that system pressure is 0.8 to 1.2 bar, I believe that is not enough for abf?

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Post approved.
    Mounts will be the same as your 8v.
    You can also use the 8v exhaust system, with an additional bung welded in for the lambda sensor :thumbup:

15. BluntedRage New Member

Hi

Please I'm battling on my Golf MK3 with a similar problem.The car wont spark because the coil isn't getting a signal.
    That red/black wire, does that come from the ignition coil?
    My Ignition coil has two of those exact wires coming off,one coming off the dizi going to the coil,the other going into the fuse box.
    If I put Ignition Live onto that wire from the fuse panel will it fix the problem I'm having?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Post approved ^

17. rubjonny

blunted: you're better off starting another thread as this is is for converting a MK2 golf with an ABF engine not really relevant to your problem!

there is no red/black wire on a MK3 this is the rev counter signal to fusebox from MK2 coil. A MK3 has a red/green wire direct from the ecu, if you arnt gettign a coil trigger this could be down to a crank sensor failure.

however you mention a red/black and black, this would suggest its been converted to mk2 coil? if so look for a TCI unit somewhere its a 7 pin thing

18. Nightroamer Forum Member

Hi guys, picked up an ABF the other day with loom and ecu so raring to go.

Couple of questions, first off which oil and water temp sensors do I use? Do mk3 sensors work mk2 clocks correctly?
    Secondly, i have a ce2 fuse box, is the whole ABF engine loom plug and play straight into the fuse box or do some wires need moving?

Thanks

19. rubjonny

coolant sensor is the same, oil pressure switches should be also but compare part numbers. the mk3 ones often fail so id swap the mk2 ones over

wiring is covered in this thread in great detail ;)

20. bardboy New Member

I have turn my abf into a k-jet system.The engine runs very nice, but when i accelerate it will not go any higher than 4500rpms!!?? Then i have to shift to another gear, an it wont go any higher than 4500!! Do you have any tips?? The same k-jet on an kr engine run very well(could go fore 7500rpms easily), but not whit the abf engine!! It may sound like it dont get enought fuel, what pressure can i adjust the fuelsystem??