Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. paultownsend Forum Member

without going for megasquirt to optimise fueling, spark etc, and running on digi 3. whats the best way to increase torque on these engines?

the regular increasing in/out flow?

2. FEN

fen Forum Member

im thinking about doing this conversion on my golf but ive got like an 88 8v digi it seems like this is probably the hardest mk2 to convert to abf? due to it bieng digifant 1? :S not sure myself but would you recomend doing the conversion? or would it be easier to sell my golf and get another later one? lol

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

For the older MK2 fusebox it is just a matter of identifying the supply, earth and vehicle current paths.

4. FEN

fen Forum Member

errrrm massive novice <<< how do i do that? lol

5. pieter1 New Member

Fen, I am in the process of doing the same thing by converting a 85 carb 8v to a ABF 16 Fuel injection. The engine has been transplanted, but standing outside the car it seems as if the engine sits to high on the mountings, with the risk that the bonnet may touch the manifolds.

Did you experienced the same or will it not touch?

6. FEN

fen Forum Member

so if i were to change my fuse box for a 90 spec one would it be simpler? lol or would i still need to find the supply, earth a vehicle current paths anyway so theres no point? cheers, Fen

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ def not easier to change the whole fusebox!!! If you imagine that the engine loom goes in via three plugs IIRC, its just with a pre 90 fusebox you will have to rewire into the old plugs. I think anyway.... we struggled and we had a CE2 fusebox lol. Although having said that, running it on digi 3.2 and it runs so sweet, starts on the button and is exactly as it was in my mk2 so glad we went the 'whole' hog so to speak

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the engione may look high but it should fit under the bonnet ok, this has been done many times over and no issues here. however, did you swap the rear engine mount bracket on thge block for the MK2 one? if not that could explain it.

as for wiring, I have done this both ways. If you want to 90spec your fusebox almost the entire car loom needs to be swapped over, which isnt particularly difficult if you use a MK2 loom as its just a like for liek swap. just fiddly as you have to try to get it back in neat behind the dash etc. You also have to swap the steering outer column tube and fusebox hanger, plus the lighting plugs for the sidelights, horn and indicators differ so gotta swap them too.

splicing to the old fusebox isnt so hard, once you have stripped out everything you dont need from the abf loom you're only left with a few wires, that mostly match right up to the wire colours on the fusebox. What I do is strip the old MK2 engine loom down then join up the wires, pretty easy.

If you have a digifant car, 4 of the wires are actually present in the scuttle tray next to the ecu in a pair of 2 pin plugs. These have:
    starter cranking feed - red/green - abf ecu pin 7 - red
    ecu relay power output - yellow/black - abf ecu pin 23 - yellow/black
    fuel pump trigger - red/yellow - abf ecu pin 6 - yellow/blue
    lambda probe power - red/white - lambda probe power - red/yellow

you can crimp some spade plugs to join these up, which means 4 less wires to splice to the fusebox

other fusebox pins:
    9 - white/black - ignition live feed, use one of the spare ign live spades on the back of the fusebox, but make sure it is live both with ignition and when cranking or splice into coil live black wire
    35 - blue/white - speed sensor output, splice to yellow/white wire to MK2 stereo plug
    Also at pin from the ecu 38 is a black wire, also joined with several other black/purple & black wires from sensors. This is another ign live feed, splice it the same way as pin 9 above.

after that you'll also have the speed sensor, 3 pin which you can either chop & remove or leave in 'just in case' you want an electronic speedo in the future. Leave the blue/white behind the fusebox if so

last of all are the engine sensors to the round engine plug:
    green/black - oil temp
    blue - low oil pressure switch
    yellow - high oil pressure switch
    red/yellow - coolant temp sensor for dash gauge

2 choices here, either splice these wires into the MK2 engine loom, or chop them out and use the complete MK2 engine sensor wires.

In addition there will be several brown wires, these usually run together into a chunky brown wire which needs earthing behind the fusebox. brown/white wires usually run to a ring terminal which is earthed to the cylinder head or block.

here are 3 pics showing the progress I made on my ABF CE1 loom. Note red tape round it at various points, as you unwrap it use a bit of tape now &^ again to hold the original shape
    1. abf loom stripped down:
    [​IMG]

2. pile of discarded wires (this was a SEAT loom so all the lighting was in there too):
    [​IMG]

3. Combined with a stripped CE1 digi loom. Note I've used the MK2 coil wiring, and if you look close you can see the spade terminals to the scuttle wires I mentioned above:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  9. FEN

fen Forum Member

can i bolt my 8v flywheel to my abf block so i can use my 8v gearbox or would it be better to use the abf box? cheers, Fen

10. rubjonny

yes you can, if the abf is staying stock your old gearbox should be ok for a while at least, I'm runnign an 020 on mine and so far touch wood its been fine.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

if you use the ABF box, you then need to convert to hydro clutch/peddle box or use a seat conversion which is horrible imo. You also need to change the shifter box but that is actually pretty easy.

If it were me, I would use your 8v flywheel and box, and stick the 02A box in the garage incase it does ever go

12. Toyotec

You can as did the owner of the Red MK2 earlier in this thread. This car is still running by the way.

13. paultownsend Forum Member

toyo using your fantastic guide i installed an abf digi 3.x into my mk2 digifant.
    using a dyno dynamics machine it proved to be healthy making stock power and increased torque by 9lbft. a week later its having a horrible problem at idle.

it idles perfectly from start up. then after 15 seconds (warm or cold) the engine starts shaking terribly (solid mount) and if you try pull off it really boggs down and wont pull. like its a tooth out. then eventually hit 4k it'll shoot off! if you try rev from idle in neutrol, it'll pick up really slow, and wont rev.

iv had it on vag-com and all measuring blocks checked and nothing was amiss. so we thought maybe the coil was breaking down. a new item proved 40 wasted! all new vac hoses and no vac leaks. any ideas? im really wanting it sorted before the head somes off for some work :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  14. paultownsend Forum Member

ed, tried reponding to your pm, but your inbox is full.
    derby, unfortunately. its really doing my head in. i thought maybe it was the knock sensors retarding. as p/s pump lower bracket was missing a bolt. so i re-torqued them and refitted the bolt. no such luck.
    the mfa was also reading 99.9 so suspected an airleak. no to that too!
    iv a different tb and isv next week to try. ecu too.
    its just strange as if you give the car a few slow revs at idle, it'll pull through it, and its rapid after
    Thank you

15. Toyotec

Yeah it gets filled up quick of late. Sorted now though.
    See my response on your other post.

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

is it quite a easy conversion on a late spec 8v? how long did it take in the end?

Cheers

17. paultownsend Forum Member

very. enough research and its easy. i did mine in a weekend. drive in, drive out. iv one other conversion under my belt though. 2.0 8v swop last year.
    its literally 3 plugs. was amazed mine started first time :)

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

hey

wheres the 2X2 or J1962 box located too? I cant find it

19. altern8 Forum Junkie

Is this the seat box too?
    [​IMG]

20. rubjonny

the jumper block should be clipped above the fusebox. I think its only there if the car has an immobilisor though? if not I believe the immob wire plugs right into a connector on the diagnostics plug.

and yeah thats an ABF airbox :)