Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. altern8 Forum Junkie

cheers my junction box is different and has 3 single grey wires do I need all 3?

The junction box was mounted below the steering column clipped to the side

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need the wire from the diagnostics plug, the one from ecu and the one from the immobiliser box. as long as you have those then its all good. basically:

1. find vag-com plug, remove all the wiring from it to the jumper block and to the fusebox.
    It should have 2 diagnostics wires yel and grey/white, and 2 power wires, red/white and brown.

2. find the transponder box, remove all wiring from it to jumper block and the fusebox.

It should have a few earths to a ring terminal, a black wire for ign live and diagnostics wire(s) On the MK3 1 wire runs to the jumper block, the other runs to the ecu. it may be that on yours the immobilser block and ecu both run to the jumoper block, rather than ecu running to immob box. either way will work.

3. remove engine loom from car, without cutting anything.

job done!

3. murph81 Forum Member

I hope to do this conversion on my mk2 16v, what engine mounts do I need?

Great write up by the way!:thumbup:

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

The standard 16v mounts will fit ok. New ones might be a good idea.

5. murph81 Forum Member

Cheers Mike, will probably fit vibratechnics when the budget allows!

While I'm at it I'll be replacing my rusty old servo, I cant seem to track down a new one, does anybody know if a servo from another modern vw will fit with minimum fuss?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

Eddy

quick question whats the connections on this ABF dizzy

no1 bottom left

no3 top left

no4 top right

no2 bottom right

?

cheers

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Should be the firing order of the engine. 1-3-4-2

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers :thumbup:

saved me taking the new dizzy cap off and testing each output for sequence.

wasn't sure if it was the same as a standard KR Dizzy.

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

what airbox is this? the ABF was too big, just bought a mk2 8v and it has some wierd bosch thing in it. Taken that out and the ABF pipe from the TB isn't quite long enough too cut a whole and insert in. Would like something factory looking rather than butchered anyway

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is from a Seat Toledo/Ibiza. For the OE look you can also use the GTD airbox as seen in my 2.0 8v and drunkenaln's 2.1 driver.

11. jessecgti New Member

hey all I'm trying to complete this conversion into a mk2gti digi running CE2 downunder in NZ
    no ones done one here using Digi3 into a mk2

I'm busy dissecting out my mk3 loom just currently
    Does anyone recall what plugs (from the mk3 loom- in terms of mk3 loom for instance G1, G2 etc) are the ones to keep and get plugged into the mk2 fusebox?

in the pics toyotec has listed there seem to be more than I would have kept? although I've just realised those pics might be direct comparisons of mk2 :mk3 engine looms before dissecting unnecessary items

help much appreciated :thumbup:

12. murph81 Forum Member

I'm currently sorting out the wiring on my mk2 abf conversion.

Where does the diagnostic plug go and what about the heated 02 sensor relay[:s]

13. jessecgti New Member

well because I've had so much help from the clubgti crew I can draw some light here!

Dx plug sits within the mk3 dash behind a blank switch cover. It networks via junction boxes to all sorts of doodackies including useless things like ABS modules which you don't need.
    All you need be concerned about is it networks to:
    1- your Immobiliser via a grey grey/white wire (in my case via a junction box)
    2- earth (brown)
    3- a live from somewhere, prob via fusebox

Heated O2 sensor relay- well you really should be keeping the heated O2 sensor mounted somewhere near the end of the downpipe, so you need to keep the relay, thats what i'v done, relay 41 or something.

14. rubjonny

ive found the early looms have the O2 relay, and the later ones dont. if its there keep it otherwise dont bother. if it has one the relay is clipped above the fusebox, its a 53 relay, white/red wire to the 02 sensor, cant miss it really a its attached to the engine loom.

as for immob/vagcom, diagrams:
    http://vwtech.no-ip.info/downloads/g3immobilisor.pdf
    http://vwtech.no-ip.info/downloads/g3vagcom.pdf

there is a junction box for the diagnostics clipped above the fusebox, and the immobv box is burried deep in the dash bellow the dash clocks. start with the key reader round the ignition barrel, and follow the wire from it then you'll find the transponder box.

15. Toyotec

The orginal "how to ABF your MK2" car revisitied after 100K+ miles

The original "How to ABF car" revisited after 100K + miles and almost 3 years with the ABF motor.
    Since this thread was written, MK2 owners have seen the light and converted they beloved Golf to run a N/A ABF engine and as a result many of these people have come to enjoy the extra thrust this engine provides to light 1000kg chassis. But what about the original vehicles that gave us this thread in the first place.
    Well one of them the black G plate MK2 on Kjet was revisited and driven to see how it felt.
    [​IMG]
    So I my fellow colleague and owner of the car, says to me one day, you know Gertie has done 100K+ miles since you installed the ABF lump. You need drive it and see if there is anything that is 'missing'. So out I went equipped with the calibration tools of the trade, used then and who knows may just be used now.
    [​IMG]
    The lambda sniffer was my nose, det cans were my ears and torque response to WOT was measured by ar**.
    With the vehicle warmed up and in 3rd gear the throttle was flattened. First impression? The car was still nippy but yes it was not edgy as I would expect. The vehicle was stopped and out come the cal tools. Make no mistake, following this car in my remapped VR6 anchor does take some effort as it is not slow! As I put my head in the engine bay I could see and feel the engine running a bit rough, possibly due to enleaning the mixture via air flow flap pivot for MOT. I took 10 mins and adjusted this with my 5mm Allen tool and got the engine running smoother by feel.
    [​IMG]
    Went for another blast and still not how I would expect it. Better but not good enough. So out came the ignition tool ( a 10mm spanner) and few degrees of global spark was added.
    [​IMG]
    The fuel mixture was also tweaked at the same time. Went for another blast and now I could feel the engine wanting to shred the 020 gearbox and break everything that was not up to par. "That's it", I said. The pick up in low gears was much more violent than my VR6 boat anchor and mid range response was improved. With these settings, I could now feel it is just a matter of time before the std 256mm brakes and new but stock suspension would not play ball with this engine. Still this engine was very alive and kicking ass after 100K + miles. It definitely has what I now commonly refer to as the Fahrverngen fakor! It is good that unlike so many cars that get scrapped crushed or crashed, this one , with the ABF motor lives on.
    [​IMG] As the red Digifant 3.2 car is also alive, The hope is to get both these cars on the rolls and see what they measure after so many years. Watch this space.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  16. Mike_H Forum Addict

And there, in a nutshell, is one of the big advantages of converting with a standard ABF or 9A engine. Long term reliability. I'm surprised the gearbox has lasted that long, but I guess the car doesn't get thrashed very often.

17. Toyotec

The gearbox did explode and has been rebuilt. The owner is a complete nutter:lol:! Car gets thrashed everytime. But yes, the used but std engine is very very strong.

18. love_the_dub Forum Member

awesome guide big thanks Toyotec,

I'm currently doing the abf Kjet conversion, do you need to change the crank pulley for using the KR alternator and water pump or can you stick with the ABF alt, tensioner and serp belt?

19. rubjonny

if it was me I'd use the abf setup, but if you want to fit mk2 setup you have to change crank and waterpump pulleys as well as all the bracketry

20. love_the_dub Forum Member

cheers RJ, i'm gonna use the abf set up, I just wasnt sure it would fit with that monsterous tensioner system