Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its no problem i na mk2, in a mk1 sometimes it catches chassis leg. if so you can swapthe early mk3 spring loaded alternator on there, just need alt and the bracket its bolted to, everything else can stay

2. love_the_dub Forum Member

:thumbup::thumbup: fantastic,

Just gonna finish my brew and then get back on it!! I need it running for tomorrow so I can go work in it:lol:

Both engines out, pretty much a case of dropping the abf in now!!! -just that simple [:s]

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

Any sign of the black K-Jet ABF having a run on the rollers?

Id be interested to see the full spec & power/torque figures;)

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Chap who owns (GerTIe) works same place as me. Once we have the time this car and the red digi one will be tested. I also have another MK2 (BenS) that is fitted with 16v FTW power and MS, so we car run GerTIe, Dav's red 16v digifant and BenS optimised MS back to back.

5. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

Do you know? If i juse the digifant 3 from a abf with all parts and then juse the big inlet manifold from a kr because in my view it looks better. But does the gas valve fits to it?

6. rubjonny

the injectors and throttle body wont fit, so short answer is no

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

To see how these engines performed a controlled dyno comparison was done to show the difference in WOT torque and its effect on power achieved. This comparison was between a road tuned ABF on MS, 9A on MS and the two vehicles featured on here, ABF digi and ABF Kjet. All vehicles were driven to help relate the torque plots to real life conditions.
    You can read more about this exercise here

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. arnau Forum Member

hey, I read somewhere else that the crank pulley has to be swapped to the kr one as belts are different. is that true?

what's the way of cutting the rear engine mount for clearance below the bonnet?

thanks!

9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

crank pulley depends on what accesories you will run, old type alternator = KR belts / pulleys
    newer Mk3 alternator = ABF items

no need to cut down any engine mounts

10. arnau Forum Member

and if I use newer mk3 alternator + old kr p/s pump + old kr a.c. pump? [:s]

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Need to look at what belt runs what accessory including the water pump- but ideally you want both belts to match up.

Not sure you can mix & match v-belt and serpentine belt pulleys...

12. arnau Forum Member

:(

well, thanks for clarifying this to me ;)

13. rubjonny

that combo wont work, mk2 pas and a/c belt setups totally wrong to use witha mk3 alternator. but i dont see why you would want to, when mk3 with pas and a/c are so easy to come by. fyi all 1.8-2.0 8v and 16v use the same alternator, a/c and pas setup, only the crank pulley is specific to 8v or 16v.
    mk2 pas pipes bolt right into a mk3 pas pump too

14. arnau Forum Member

hi,

I'd like to use an abf block+head with corrado KR alternator/a.c.comp./pas pump. I've been told by another user that kr accesories belts work OK with ABF crank pulley :o

I'd like to use kr ancillyaries as per not having to fill a.c. and pas fluids again :lol:, so I'd just unbolt these off the kr block, put them aside, and when abf is in, bolt them back to the abf block :thumbup:

15. rubjonny

if you want to use kr ancillaries, you have to swap everything over from the kr. including the crank pulley :)

you might be able to bolt a mk3 a/c pulley onto your compressor, pas would only loose a little fluisd as long as you hold the pipes above the level of the tank while you quicky swap the pipes. its your call but the mk3 setup is much better than the mk2 one

16. arnau Forum Member

that sounds good, but I've been offered an ABF block+head without anything else. These engines go pretty expensive in Spain... People are asking about 600 or 900 for an ABF with goodies [xx(] that's why I'd like to use kr bits with abf engine; and so I was told I didn't need to swap the crank pulley by a corrado owner off the-corrado.net forum :o

17. rubjonny

fair enough :)
    Fell free to tell him from me that he is talking rubbish ;)

edit: this assumes that by 'crank pulley' you mean the ribbed one on the end of the timing belt sprocket that drives the alternator and waterpump? if so, yes this definitely needs to be swapped. if you both mean the timing belt sprocket which runs the timing belt, then no you can keep the abf one on there.

once you look at your engine vs the abf, you'll soon see for yourself why the crank pulley needs to be swapped ;)

18. arnau Forum Member

yep, we may have misunderstood each other. I meant the pulley, but I don't know what he meant LOL

thanks for clarifying

19. doddy182 New Member

Hey all, im currently doing this conversion at the mo and got a bit stuck with taking the engine out. Once ive removed the front and rear mounts will the engine pop out or do i have to take anything else off, driveshaft etc?

Thanks, also if anyone wants to help me and is in Nottingham please do! haha

20. rubjonny

driveshafts, gearbox mount, exhaust, gear linkages, wiring, inlet piping and coolant hoses ;)