Toyotec's how to make your MK3 16v breathe on a budget. Part 2 added 14-12-09

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Sep 13, 2009.

1. RBPE Forum Member

I've been digging out some of my old stuff recently - Toyo asked what my reasons were - well, none really, I'm just digging out some old stuff when I did a lot of mk1 Golf/ABF-T stuff that some of you may find interesting/thought provoking, especially if you're going to go to the lengths of designing and fabricating your own stuff, listen to everything I say/ignore me, makes no difference to me! (Actually, if I'm being honest I looked into everything of this inc. custom parts manu back in the commercial days so I'm kinda jealous that you're still ABFing it! I still want an ABF-T mk1!).

So.... just noticed this pic I rescued - exactly 7 years ago today by the looks of it!
    [​IMG]ABF Carbon Fibre Inlet Manifold - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

EG of early mk1 designs and some things I went through over the 2 years or so of geeking out on it if you're going to design/make your own parts and any test data I put up - all air based so no reason not to evolve the thread as best poss imho;
    [​IMG]TWINNY,RAD AND SHROUD - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

[​IMG]inside intercooler end tanks - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

[​IMG]END TANKS - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

One thing I wanted to mention was one of the strong forces you need to manipulate if you're designing things and looking to do the best if you get the old 3D printing bug & not just on ABF - namely Gravity! You've no forced induction so that stone of pressure per square inch can help somewhat if you're designing things!

Here is air fighting against gravity and turbulence somewhat increasing speed on it's way up(remember my tests are FI, also some slight syphoning much like a wastegate might work);
    [​IMG]Pipe Tests 3 - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

[​IMG]Divided feed gas speed by Rick B, on Flickr

CFD Noobs look at the above pic to see where it gets darker blue at the top v more yellow at the bottom, gravity/path of least resistance example there!

Like I say, I did all this many moons ago, this (below) is the kind of pics I had, most I wasn't bothered by as it was such a pixelated set up I only tidied up for others to think about such principles...... some turbulence/bend/more open orifice quick look as an idea (p.s. changing pic sizes etc messed up the look, the arrows in flow etc so sorry about that!);
    [​IMG]MONTAGE - Copy by Rick B, on Flickr

I had to do this when designing ABF Turbo cast stainless steel exhaust manifolds back then as an example, but they were a dying breed back then, let alone now, so you may not have to fork out the £10k+ on the design/development of an SS mani or negation thereof which were my tests, but if you're going to go to the effort of either designing your own parts or look at an air-box thread then I'll stick some gas dynamics/ABF focused/pretty pics with some simple statements for anyone interested in the hope it helps you think a bit more about it! :thumbup:

I doff my cap to those still going old skool too!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  2. 2swe Forum Member

My airbox mod.
    It is megasquirted corrado 9A
    [​IMG]
    this is the same mold I used while building my ITB air box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this will help to reduce MAP dropping at high-RPM WOT ..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  3. arniks8 New Member

RBPE, thank you for the information :thumbup:

I had exams at university and because of it I didn't have much time for this, but now I'm back on track. After some trial and error I think I managed to make somewhat decent results in CFD, but I'm not really sure at what I'm looking at :lol:. My methodology was setting a constant amount of air(I used a number that according to internet calculators is necessary for 150hp) that is getting sucked, I'm pretty sure that's not right but at least this gave me some results to look at :lol:. Also I don't know how to read these properly, sorry for being an absolute noob, I'm trying to learn :)

Velocity between the latest two desgins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is pressure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  4. arniks8 New Member

I finally have a first test version, quality is pretty poor and something went wrong while printing, but at least I can see what needs to be improved:). There clearly is more room towards the air filter, as I see it I could just increase diameter of the trumpet but there would still be a cutout at the bottom. Tilting trumpet towards air filter could also be possible but I'm concerned that a bend could have a negative impact.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got something wrong with the size where both parts meet. I'm guessing this would have significant impact?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Ricardo Silva, Toyotec and erreesse like this.
  5. arniks8 New Member

It's been a while and I have made small progress, covid postponed everything in the late spring/summer and since the semester started I have to study a lot, so I'm just gonna share the files that I have now.

I made a V2 version using parameters of design 9

[​IMG]

Here's a flow simulation(seems like it's better)

[​IMG]

Lower end part for ABF Ibiza's air box, had to do some slight sanding for it to fit in the hole. The upper V2 part hasn't been printed yet, so I can't vouch that it fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

Not the finest print, but good enough for testing. This one is PLA and hasn't melted yet(PLA starts to deform at something like 45* C), not sure how it would fare in a summer traffic jam.

[​IMG]

And here are bunch of file formats as I promised a good while ago :lol:, feel free to use those as you wish, upper and lower parts are for Ibiza's air box, but there also is a simple trumpet of this design with no added parts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1voQc8sen0PFjdKlZHzODBTh-c-H21Cv7/view?usp=sharing

If I had dimensions for connecting bits, I could make plug n play versions for different boxes too. I hoped that this helped somebody, I have gotten so much valuable info from this site over the years. I felt that I had to give back somehow [:D].

tomasson, beetie, Toyotec and 3 others like this.
  6. wone New Member

thank you

7. tomasson Forum Member

Hi. Really intersting thread. I have abf in my MK2 and this type of top half. Is it worth to play with it and 3D print a velocity stack, trumpet to it?
    20231031_144116.jpg

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi there.
    It will help in the right direction. However the torque and aircharge increase will be small, such that you will hardly notice, when the engine is operated withing it's operating envelope.