Track/kit car dash setups and Digital dash opinions

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by James_mk2, Feb 1, 2009.

1. James_mk2 Forum Member

I Can't afford a stack dash or anything that high level in the mk2, but i'm looking at replacing the instrument cluster and facia panel with something custom to house all the gauges and switches i need/want so i'm looking for inspiration! Any pics people have of custom dashes/instrument clusters i'd like to see them :thumbup:

I'm making one for my mk2 golf but i don't care what car the pictures are of, just looking to see different layouts for a nice neat concise dash setup.

Also i currently have an Omex limiter with shiftlight that i bought about a year ago with the intention of using it on the mk2 with a switch in the circuit as a makeshift launch control device (just as a toy really), however since i've had the last 2 days off due to snow i've been spending far too much time on the internet looking for stuff to buy!
    Came across these:
    http://www.otto-racing.co.uk/index.htm

And i'm looking at getting shot of the omex and my VDO gauges to cover the cost of the full digital dash (99 will pretty much be covered by selling what i have already) as to be honest who really needs launch control in a 16v mk2?!

Has anyone had experience of the above or can recommend any alternatives at a similar price? Ideally i want revs, oil pressure and oil/water temperature in one compact unit. Not too fussed about speedo as that seems to increase the price dramatically and the standard speedo will be mounted alongside the digi stuff to retain the odometer reading anway.

Also had a look at these, would it work well too?
    http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/store/erol.html

Cheers

James

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Take a look at steveR’s build thread, I love his dash

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

4. James_mk2 Forum Member

Thanks just been reading all of that! Looking to do something similar to that actually but wanting to fit the speedo fairly flush like the VDO's he has behind the wheel

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This is the one which used to be in my Mk1:

[​IMG]

6. James_mk2 Forum Member

Thats the kind of thing i'm planning on making, is it true you don't need a speedo to be road legal? My one isn't working (think the cable fell out the back) and the MOT tester didn't mention it, i'm sure i've read somewhere you don't need one?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think you can get away with it somehow, but tbh... iffy territory.

That dash was when the car was a race car / no numberplates etc - just so I'm not mis-leading you!

8. James_mk2 Forum Member

Fair enough, i'll do a bit of research! just playing around with a couple of instrument clusters and gauges etc. at the moment, no real need but its cold so i can't be botherd to go and get under the mk2!

9. Admin Guest

The two pictures so far are both awesome.

10. seanlazyass Forum Member

James i think without a speedo the car will pass its MOT fine, but its illegal not to have a speedo on a car driven on the road. Strange law I know.

I'll check with my bobby mate tonight and find out for sure.

As an alternative and for something different, you could use a bicycle speedometer if you wanted something small and neat to fit into your dash.

Sean

11. gillm

gillm ***** User

i was thinking about changing my guages but i think its soo much hastle and if it was me im not sure i would trust aftermarket ones ?

i have a dash like steves for my mk1 which im planning on modding soon

12. James_mk2 Forum Member

How much are those dashes? (not that i could afford one :lol:)
    Been playing around today, going to mock everything up off the car and then once its MOT'd i'll start tinkering!
    I've got a set of VDO gauges and a rev counter thats very similar in design, also have a set that give a digital readout so my plan (when i get round to it) is to have the VDO oil pressure and temperature with a digital readout below. I have a digital rev counter too but the readout seems very jumpy around idle, although i haven't tried it on the road yet under normal conditions

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

you've got a digital rev counter standard in a mk2 GTI - MFA secret functions...

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They were done by AW Tracksport. Maurice Reeves ordered them, back in ~2004, but didn't use them. Steve had the Mk2 one and gillm now has the other. I think it would need a GB to get some more done.

15. James_mk2 Forum Member

Mines a driver (now a 16v) but the 16v clocks i got were the wrong type and they seem to go for silly money and then with the cost of an MFA stalk (although they're pretty cheap) i just got an aftermarket one, although i may regret that if it turns out to be cheap cr*p

16. project 2006 New Member

17. steved Forum Member

My MK3 Dash

[​IMG]

18. James_mk2 Forum Member

I like that, what material have you used?

The Rally design one looks good but i'm unsure how compatible it would be with a car?

19. steved Forum Member

I ordered some display signs from Calor Gas, These seem to be some sort of light weight plastic then wraped it in a matt black foil.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just continuing this thread on, after a convo over on 16valver's thread, irrespective of the clocks people fit in, how to people fix the inlays to the OE dashes?

Having this stuff loose or potentially loose makes me cringe.

Pics I have on my computer - can people recommend the sort of glue you'd use to make carbon inlays a permanent fixture?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spot the glare!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]