Track kit for vw's

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Apr 13, 2014.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

A complaint really. To the VAG 'tuning' companies out there.

It never ceases to amaze me how little proper race tuning kit is available for golfs and the like. Step to ford and pug land, and seemingly everything is available. For minis, a staggering amount. even mgb's have catologues full of race kit.

I find this very surprising given the prominance of the golf gti, and the sheer number of them you see out there on race days, track days etc.

Surely there is a hole in the market for such things?

Cheers

Rob

vw_singh and jamesa like this.
  2. vr6smith Forum Member

Ford warrant the mountune kits, maybe the problem is vw not letting the tuning companies play??

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

5. KEE

kee New Member

last link doesn't work.

is there a market for race spec components? surely somebody would have filled this sector if there was.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Odd - works for me

[​IMG]

7. vr6smith Forum Member

When does ROBT MOTORSPORT open for business then??lol

8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

9. KEE

kee New Member

that beam doesn't look strong enough to me.
    polo parts look good though.

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

If theres stuff like that for a polo, why not for a more common golf? I find it a bit odd.......

Honda civic....anything you like sir from a full tube chassis to titanium rear wishbones.

11. Damo mk1 Banned

There is no money in the VW scene unless you are "scene" thats why. No one wants to pay for anything thus, the companies don't go there.... simple case of supply and demand most VW folk engineer their own bits some with success and some with shocking results... Just an observation don't shoot :-)

Ben S, RobT and Nige like this.
  12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Maybe it's as above "Honda civic no problem sir" but who are the biggest tuning nuts ?
    Japs and yanks so our motors haven't got the same demand ?

13. Dormeister Forum Member

Everything is do-able. Its just a question of supply and demand (as already suggested). The less demand, the higher the price (generally).
    FYI . . . I am in the final development stages of tubular wishbones for the MK2 Golf. I just need to manufacture and trial a set before releasing them to retail. Selling price will be somewhere in the region of 300 - 350 a pair.

If anyone has any other product suggestions, I will happily look into them.

Jommanjo and Bruce T like this.
  14. Bruce T Forum Member

Now that sounds interesting! Would definitely be interested in a set of those :thumbup:

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Maybe thats right, maybe the vw scene is more about look and fashion. Its beyond me, but there ya go.

I still find it odd though when you see so many vags at trackdays and race meets. You would think there was a market if someone just made a start....

Look at the Burton catologue for Fords. Everything you could imagine for Ford engines. Nothing like that exists for VW......least not watercooled vw.

Its very disappointing.

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I agree Rob. Finding useful engineered products seem to be far and few between. Getting stuff made seems entirely plausible but getting people to pay the premiums is the difficult bit.

There are so many things that would be useful to the track enthusiast but just aren't readily available or cost a small fortune.

Gurds

17. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Problem is, the sales would be low, so prices would be high, and probably still wouldn't recover the development costs on certain items.

Yet we have scenesters fitting Bentley rims to cars with paint jobs on air ride, just to pose at shows.. ho hum. lol

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Ive had bits made, its all very doable, but the cost is rediculous for one off jobs.

How about a club gti race parts buisness? The originator gets a cut of profit, but so does the club for the marketing/advertising/endorsement.....

I have designs that could be used, and i have no doubt others do too.

The vincent motorcycle club have a very healthy parts buisness for eg.

19. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Maybe start with a fairly open survey to see:
    what bits people want
    &
    what bits people have made / had made

20. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

It's a cost thing? Our cars aren't classic enough yet ie not really rare and expensive ?
    I've bought and old race car and won't to have fun at the track , yes in the future when my driving ability is better than the car I'll improve the car but I like to make stuff I enjoy that as much as driving the car ;) nige is a good example it a fun hobby not life and death he makes stuff and sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not [:D] no offence nige really like your car and will copy bits and maybe you'd lend me your wing moulds for a small fee:thumbup:;)
    I'll happily build bits for my car but selling them is a whole different ball game , people will sue you at the drop of a hat nowadays and everything has to be tested and certified [:x] you can't get rebuild kits anymore for newer vehicles a small valve or steel goes and it's a whole new unit[:x]
    So it's probably the development ,testing and liability issues that scare people away from making small runs of stuff .
    Golf guys aren't classic collectors with loads of money to spend on our cars. My wife and kids much prefer to go on a nice holiday than watch me raz round oulton park with a 1000 pounds worth of mods on my car lol