Track setup/driving advice

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mat-mk3, Oct 27, 2012.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

*COUGH*, the damper might still be fine with a stiffer spring, but it would need testing on a damper dyno rig, like any decent suspension place should have

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Thats so much smoother than before ! :thumbup: Hardly any tyre squeal. Did you look at the tyre shoulder wear ? is it more even than before with the added camber ?

Your steering inputs are nowhere near as sudden. Good on you for trying it.

Also good to hear you experimented with the damping, you`ve found something many people never do, just whacking everything to full hard does NOT mean it`s faster lol

I ran 280lb Front and 200lb rear for 5 years on R tyres with stock front ARB and no rear. People kept telling me I NEEDED to go stiffer, well yes, I know they would help, but I could still drive the car on softer springs. I`d stick with what you have for a bit.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

... or a lighter engine ;) Probably won't sound as good though.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

This... you can use the LSD to pull you round the corner a bit, rather than waiting for it to feel like the tyres are gripping... but don't go too much the other way.

When Jackie Stewart was trying to teach James May to drive fast on Top Gear, he repeatedly said (when he wasn't saying 'More power, more power!') that you shouldn't press the throttle in a bend until you know you won't have to back out of it again... so there's a balance to find that works for your car, for each corner. I was trying to do that in the wet at Llandow on Sat, and frequently got it wrong [:D]

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

No No No No......... 6 cylinders all the way