Track Tyres

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by randomguy82, Jan 19, 2004.

1. randomguy82 Forum Member

I need some new track tyres for my MK1 GTI and have found that they no longer produce my current Hankook Z2000s so I have to find something else. Who uses dedicated track tyres and what do you prefer? I'm currently looking at getting a set of Yokohama A032Rs, has anybody used these? What are your thoughts?
    I'm currently running the original 13" 9 spokes due to regulations so am a little limited because of the size.
    Other possibilities are Dunlop Formula Rs and Toyo RA1s. Are there any brands others available in 13s? If so, what? Does anyone know a website with reviews or specs of track tyres?

What tyres does Mad20v use?

Thanks

Matt
    Edited by: randomguy82

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I dont know about track tyres but a friend of mine uses mini cooper tyres (old mini) because the tyres have better characteristics on track than the standard profile tyres. But because of the very low profile, it also has the effect of shortening the ratios of your gear box, this could be good depending on your current ratios. So im sure that if you go on some of the mini cooper sites, you mite be able to find some lower profile racing tyres and mini suppliers tend to be cheaper than other suppliers.
    Edited by: vw_singh

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mad20v used AO38 but I think he's got the A048s now.

4. randomguy82 Forum Member

Never even heard of the A048 and A038. Anyone know where I can find the specs?
    Edited by: randomguy82

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

AO38s were developed for Lotus I think for the front of the 340R

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

A038s are like:

[​IMG]

and A048s are like:

[​IMG]

7. Mad 20v Forum Member

Matt the 38's are made in 2 compounds soft and super soft. Supersoft is the same compound as the SS A032's, The 38's are made for the Lotus 340R's.
    The 48's are the newest tyre Yoko do and are ment to be better but i havent got to try them on track yet. From what i have heard they are very good but time will tell.
    Oh and the 48's are ment to have stiffer side walls.
    They cost around 105 each over here [:^(] .

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

105, f**king hell!

9. Mad 20v Forum Member

Yeah and you get about 4 days out of a set if you are lucky [:^(] [:^(]

10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Me and Barny use Colway formula 2`s , i think bill tried then and did not like them or were no faster for laptimes. But they work well in my mk2, i think the compound is bit hard but they do provide some grip in the wet. The sidewalls are rock .. I certainly can get rounds corners well. Easy to spot someone who uses then there car sounds like a tie fighter on track.
    They are half the price of Yokos

They are avalible in 13"
    I use 205/50/15 which is more tyre width than a 195 so must help with grip. Coilover clearance on the rears is a pain & i had to fit g60 arches becuase of these tyres
    Edited by: dUff

11. randomguy82 Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the A032Rs are the was to go - couldn't find a listing for 13s in the 48s. Only trouble is they aren't available until March. Still, I got them for a decent price.

Cheers

Matt

12. barny Forum Member

Hmmm rock side walls ....? Well i have footage of them disappearing under the wheel throo craners !!! Scarey -cant find the right pressure for them and as such never been too impressed with them. But as you say they are long lasting, cheap and surprisingly good in the wet.

205 i think are to large for my wheels and this could cause the sidewalls flexing... but time will tell !!

Roll on mallory :p

13. ianb Forum Member

Barny

I you going to Coombe this year ?

If so I think Bill was on A0038'S Yoko's...made a big difference 1-2 secs a lap.

It's a familiar track for both of us.

I have all of their trackdays posted to me and I can get special rate deals if anyone's interested this year.

Ianb

14. barny Forum Member

Ian,

Sounds interesting - always at combe as its about 1.30hrs from us went three times last year !!

Cant justify new tyres as the colways refuse to wear out, after the last donny i left them on two months later i finally got round to swapping them back over and the buggers still have loads of tread left !!

Tell me more about combe ....

15. ianb Forum Member

CCC day is no longer this year as you know

Two dates have been set one in April the other in July

Different sponsors...I'll let you know when the package come thru...in the next few weeks hopefully.

Perhaps you should book the Ford RS Owners day...an excellent day as Bill will confirm

Ford day normally in July...price around 85 for the day

Loads of track time and a hoot playing with the Cossie's.

Ian

16. wussel Forum Member

Without highjacking this thread, i have posted a new topic on the Castle Combe dates this year New Topic

17. scott16v New Member

Just thought I would let you know my Passat is now shod with 225 40 ZR18 AO48R's. First impressions are cracking, but so they should be for the money!! Test of time will be Mallory. See you there