track wheels and tyres

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Dom Jones, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Dom Jones New Member

i'm buliding a mk1 gti for summer thrashing and track days i've got wheel issues i've got 7.5" x 15 lancia wheels on my mk2 at mo and they only just miss the arces, are these to big, what is the best size for mk1 13-16" and what tyres are best for track and road for the summer, had a nova (Sorry have sold it now) and that was best on 15" with 195 45 15 are mk1's the same as they similar in size [:s]

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

go for a 15" and read my PM re: tyres... [:D]

3. Joe_G Forum Member

I'd go for 195/50/15's on 6.5x15".

4. greg s Forum Member

This may go against what most people say on this thread but if you're using 239mm GTI brakes I'd seriously consider 13" wheels. You'll be able to get excellent quality motorsport wheels and tyres very cheap off Chevettes. You could have a play around with low profile tyres to avoid sidewall flex and bear in mind that width isn't necessarily going to give you "better" handling due to tyre temperatures, tramlining.

14" wheels are cheap to buy but tyre choice is poor. 15" are more expensive but tyres can be had quite cheap with perhaps a slightly better choice of road tyres (although competition/slick choice is probably better for the 13").

All worth considering if you're on a budget.

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

slicks for mk1/mk2 golf are very easy to find in 15"

we have a guy on the forum who sells them.

(he isn't me)

and if you are gonna take your mk1 on track then you are well advised to change the brakes...

6. greg s Forum Member

What, a moderator advertising parts for someone on the forum? Well I never!

I'm just pointing out the options, that's all. Seeing as everyone's going to say "195/50/15" without any discussion.

Yes, 15" tyres are easy to find but you tell me where I can easily find a set of 4 off 15" Compomotive alloys with part-worn but good cut slicks for under 100 and I think you'll struggle. Doing the same for 13" is easy.

As for the brakes, that depends what he's doing - he may not be planning on uprating the brakes, which isn't compulsory anyway. mk1 GTI brakes can be made to work well in standard size (the feel of them is a different matter!).

Just to make things clear here I'm not trying to start arguments with you Dex as I respect what you have to say and think it's valid inforumation, I'm just trying to point out different options that probably won't be mentioned otherwise.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I paid 190 for 4 brand new Compomotives! [:D]

And my slicks are cheap as you like... ;)

8. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Gregs - i'm not advertising for anyone - i've just said they are available from a forum member.

as for 13" wheels... yes they are available cheap, but while chevettes are geared for the smaller rolling radius, golfs are not - a mk1 box is low enough as it is, running low profile tyres on 13's would give a top speed of about 95. So you'd be sat on the limiter from halfway down most straights on uk circuits.

My mk1 had decent discs and pads, refurbished rear drums, decent shoes, braided hoses, decent fluid...

i could fade the brakes on the road just through brisk driving, with a lightly tuned 1.6 engine - on the track i think i would have set fire to them (i'm not hard on brakes, i did mallory with std pads and discs on 280's and only got them smoking properly at the end of the longest session)

it would be a shame to not at least upgrade the brake son the mk1 to 256, which would need 14" wheels - not if you could find decent wheels and tyres in that size for cheap that would be worth considering for a mk1 IMO