turbo sizing basics

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 10mm socket, Nov 28, 2016.

1. 10mm socket Paid Member Paid Member

Evening guys,

I'm about to start a big turbo build, got a room ful of goodies:cry: I've currently got a brand new efr 6258, but already decided its to small and want to buy a bigger one and sell that on. I bought the 6258 without doing any maths, this time i want to do it properly.................so!

I hear lots about boost pressure, what figure should i be aiming for 15 psi or 30 psi. I'd like to achieve about 500, but not have the turbo running its nuts off. It needs to be street usuable, also got a wet NOS kit ( thatll be purely 1/4 mile useage) and a meth kit. The ecu is an emerald k6 with 3 switchable maps, use just use map 1 for street, map 2 for clever gits and map 3 for the strip, so thinking i could keep a large turbo under control.

also got

quaiffe lsd
    clutchmasters fx400 6 puck clutch
    ie rods
    supertech inconel valves
    arp flywheel bolts
    arp head stud kit
    arp pinion ring bolts
    emerald k6
    homemade tubular exhaust mani
    homemade inlet mani with vr6 throttle body
    seimens deka 750 injectors
    bosch 044 pump
    pinion brace homemade

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I think you should put some pics up :thumbup:

3. m1keh Forum Member

As a rough guess i think you need about 1450kg/h of air to acheive your 500bhp.

I assume this is a 1.8t?

To make a 1.8t flow that amount of air you will need to be around 34 psi or 2.5 bar - gauge. Thats making the power at 7500rpm....

A good book if you want to do all the maths yourself is (Heywood - Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals)

But a quick google found this spreadsheet will help you along the right lines in terms of the calcs you need to make for basic numbers. Its in american units but thats helpful as the EFR compressor maps are in lb/min also...

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/turbo/TurboSelectionWorksheet.xls

However the size of turbo you will need to flow enough air for 500hp is probably EFR7064 sized. I guess whether thats big enough for you or not depends how "street usable" you want the car to be.

4. Notso Swift Forum Member

As said above, it is about air flow to get your power
    Pressure is a function of resistance, Higher flowing heads, bigger cams, inlet and ESPECIALLY the exhaust manifold will make a huge difference

I would look at the graph, I don't know the BW range but if it is rated at (say 400hp), you could easily have it in the 450 range in the graph, just down on compressor efficiency , as long as youu keep it away from surge
    Also remmeber a quick spooling well balanced 450hp car will be faster than an old school laggy narrow band 500hp car pretty much evey where you drive it