Twin carb abf in ‘86 ce1 mk2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Wygolf, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Wygolf New Member

Wasn’t sure which section this would really go in so if it’s in the wrong bit I apologise

after playing around with my 1.3 I’ve got a bit bored and want a bigger project so I’ll be dropping an abf on twin Webers into my ce1 mk2. The car was originally a 1.3 carb which I did the usual dmtl conversion on.

All running gear/ brakes understood, wiring it is my main concern.

I’ll be using a nodiz pro and coil pack for the ignition using the standard crank sensor to keep all advance in check which wiring in seems easy enough, but what’s the best way to go about the rest of the sensors/ loom?

Splice abf loom to respective wires on my old engine loom and delete the un needed injection wiring? Or can my original engine loom be used with a bit of modification as it won’t be needed to run any sort of ecu?

these questions have probably been answered a million times but can’t seem to get a straight answer for what I need (also this was my first car and never worked on an abf before so it’s all foreign to me)

Car is off the road til summer while I re paint the underside so don’t mind spending a bit of time getting it right.

any help greatly appreciated on getting this set up, i know injection is less maintenance but that’s not the point of this project.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd use as much of the original one as possible I'd it's in good condition.

3. Wygolf New Member

that’s what I was thinking, aside from shortening or lengthening some wires will the mk2 loom run the 16v engine fine? Sensors will all work with the ce1 cluster lights/ buzzer?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st thing to check on your 1.3 loom, is the coil power black or purple/white? if its black then great, can use that for your new coil power. if purple/white need to remove that and run fresh wire.

dash sensor wire you only have 3 wires to worry about in the engine loom. yellow/red is dash temp -> small black sensor in side of head. blue/black and yellow are your oil pressure switch wires these need to be extended to reach the switches in the oil filter housing. yellow to the big white switch, blue/black to the blue or brown switch.

the tricky one is starter motor, its the thick red/black and as its large gauge not so easy to solder on a wire to extend, instead you could make an extension with male spade to plug into the old wire same as the mk1 golf, or use a butt crimp to extend. apart from that you'll just have a couple extra wires spare from the old carb.

for fuel control if the nodiz unit can control a fuel relay then locate the purple/black wire which used to go to the carb coolant thermoswitch you can re-use that for fuel relay trigger, it needs to be earth trigger to work. if not then grab a kjet 8v fuel relay without built in rev limiter then fit to slot 2. either way you then wire up your fuel pump to E/14 then it'll run off the factory fuel pump fuse as VW intended, you can get the pin from polevolt.co.uk. Otherwise you can use the larger spade N on the fusebox but you'll have to run an inline fuse as this pin isnt fused.

if you got yourself a 1.6-1.8 carb loom this would take care of starter wiring but you would still need to extend 1 oil switch wire. 16v loom would fit directly but has a lot of extra wiring in you wont need for cold start and isv etc plus the ends might be all grotty, if so you'll end up having to do similar work compared to modifying the 1.3 loom

5. Wygolf New Member

Legend mate thanks a lot for that info, glad to know the 1.3 loom is suitable with a bit of modification, will likely be back with more photos as my parts start to arrive.