UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

hehe...dont tempt me ;)

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right im after if anyone has ;):

A pair of bumpers smaller than the standard ones.

& a single light (center grill only), gonna dump the fogs.......Tris ("Duff" might be able to sort me out & is checking on weekend).

Edit: Is it worth removing the soundproofing from under the centre console & behind the dash up in the footwell or would it just be to noisy?
    Edited by: fthaimike

3. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

rip it all out :lol:

4. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

dude have you ever thought of removing the spots, but using the holes to proveie air to the engine, you could put huge ducting in there [:D]

5. jjarvis Forum Junkie

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

I thought that a single headlight setup would have the same airflow but just look tidier?

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

OK i removed the roof lining tonight & underneath it was strips of sponge like the sound proofing stuff thats found in the foot well & when i peeled it of it left loads of the hairy stuff behind, is this going to be hard to remove or what?

& those little bars that run across that held the lining away from roof, silly question but they can go to i take it?

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ive yet to tackle that stuff mike,think ill try a wire wheel thingy in a drill,if it leaves it a bit rough ill probably whip over it with some roughish sandpaper to smooth it out a bit.

and yep,those headliner hanger things can go,they weigh a feckin ton ya know! :lol:

neil. :)

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right, i decided after on ripping out the rest of the sound proofing from down behind the dash/foot wells......This stuff is REALLY heavy & i can understand now why it's taken out.

Started to tackle that furry roof :lol:& found a plastic windscreen scrapper for removing ice works ok but is still very hard going [:$].

Used some tidy alen key bolt with nuts to join the centre console back to the dash & seems more secure than the crapy screw method.

boot:

[​IMG]

that sticky black stuff (by loop that back seat normal hooks into in centre):

[​IMG]

Roof [xx(]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handbrake:

[​IMG]

Dash:

[​IMG]

Drivers Footwell (looks sh*ty but it's just where there was never paint & more stick stuff - black behind pedals and next to door):

[​IMG]

Passenger Footwell & yet more black stickyplastic stuff :

[​IMG]

One thing i need to figure out is to get the surround that goes around the body that the door comes up against is how to stop it moving? as it's only sitting on the seam now instead of having the carpet & lining tucked into it like before.

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

thats almost looking stripped out u still got a dash :lol:

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Going to be a while for that as i got to design a pod holder, switchpanel& speedo box ;)

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

looking good mike [:D]

that black sticky shit on the bulkhead/sides is hard work aint it [xx(]

was just looking at the rubber floor mats,could you cut strips of rubber from somewhere? and stick them to either side of the sill trim?

neil. [:D]

13. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

;looks awesome dde, but im sure that cigarette lighter weighs a bit ;)

14. gary_k Forum Member

Should be good mate. You have got me thinking now. I have a mars red MK1 Shell on my driveway. I might have a play with it when i finish my MK2,;)

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

You missed the ashtray lol................i was there pulling crap out & also thought whats the point of having the centre console? :lol:as im moving the dials to where the radio was.

Is ther a part that can just snap into the radio gap to hold them or will i have to make it?

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

would insulation tape along the seam help, to slide the strip over the top of it or maybe some of that floor glue you use for carpets?

edit: am i stuck with the door panels until i get the plastic windows as im woriied about it filling with water without the water membrane?

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

dont think the spray glue would help mike,insulation tape may do but like you say i think they need to push up against something? as the rubber seal is still there doing its job,think its a case of filling the gap between sill trim to sill?.

without the door membrane it will get wet inside [8(]

neil.
    Edited by: riley

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I remember this well. :lol:

[​IMG]

I used a bit of autoglym tar remover for getting the rest of the black stuff off and initially a hair dryer and a bodyfiller applicator thingy to scrape it off, most of it had gone rock hard so it had already peeled away from the bulkhead. Best to take the heat exchanger out if you cant get to any of the black stuff left in the gap between it and the bulkhead, so much easier.

To the bottom of the picture and on the wheel arch is another type of sound deadening. if you're going to the extremes of removing this as well, then I think the best option is either going to be heat or cold, freeze it with ice cubes then tap it with a toffee hammer or similar is method I have read in either PVW or The Golf last year sometime that was for a feature on a Mk1.

Heat gun and scraper is probably the better option though.

Sod knows what I'm banging on about tbh. :lol:

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think i will leave that as iv'e taken loads of weight & that sheet is very thin but very hard, with so little material between me & the road now it feels as if thats the only thing holding the car together :lol:.

I have to go out in her today to get a new battery for the 309 so i will see how loud she is now [xx(].

20. Threeeightsix Forum Member

Looks well good mate!!!

Keep it up.. I'm yet to do this to mine when it comes back from the garage!!! [:D] [:D] [:D]