UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

nice mike [:D]

i reckon,fag lighter connection would be fine.

should allow you to have another fuse too,i think most of em come with a fuse as the pin if you know what i mean?

neil.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah i was wondering that if i put a 3amp fuse in will this be too small for other stuff connected through the cigarette lighter?

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye possibly too small depending on what you might be running.

4. Admin Guest

how minted are you for VAG panels ;) :lol:

looks great so far!

no silly grill spoiler on the front ;)

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right i FINALLY managed to get of mybum after the xmas rest& finish stripping all that glue [xx(]off the inside of the roof & my fingers & neck were killing after trying to lie down in a mk1 & rub the crap off for another 3 hours [:x](putting the back seat in made it easier mind [:$]).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some bits look a bit white because it was never painted in the factory due to it being covered by the headlining & the tar remover took any light bits off along with the glue.

I also got hold of one of those plastic label punch making machines so started to stick some around the dash [:$]:

[​IMG]

Next thing probablly is to get some matching grade/colour wire tobring the k-star connections into the ashtray compartment & get a new solder tip & solder for the fine wire.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

One of the dymo machines would do such a nicer job of the labelling rather than that shite old tape ;) :lol: :lol:

7. Shortstuff Forum Member

Did you get a rear panel off Crazyquiff? They're identical to the UK cars rear panels and top quality:thumbup:They're about twice as thick as some pattern parts!!

Car looks awesomely fast! How does the gearbox stand up to the power? Was it your carfeatured in 'The Golf' a while back?
    Edited by: Shortstuff

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Andy it was a dymo (junior one) &had enough tape given to me to last a life time :lol:.

shortstuff the front panel awaiting fitting is a genuine VAG one bought here in UK....& the mag was possibly if it used to look like this:

http://groups.msn.com/My2-18vMK1GolfDriver/homepageor if not work:

http://groups.msn.com/My2-18vMK1GolfDriver/shoebox.msnw?albu mlist=2

Gearbox is a 4+E with a QuaifeATB with Helix motorsport clutch which seems fine so far as it's only 160bhp / 154 torque

At the time of those pics from mag i didn't have the ATB or 4+E & the steering rack bushes/joints were shot.
    Edited by: fthaimike

9. Shortstuff Forum Member

I remember the pic of it going sideways for some reason:lol:

When I read the article I suddenly wanted a 2.1 litre engine for my MK1! Hmmmm, maybe I should get it running again before thinking about that though[:$]

Loving the car anyway.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

cheers mate......you'll find the 16v boys will turn you away from an 8v engine like mine because of cost (can you blame them :lol:).

Pity it looks nothing like it used to inside but it's for the better.

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Next job on the cards was to start looking at removing some of the secondary soundproofing:

So today i tackled section D:

[​IMG]

Here's how it started:

[​IMG]

Then armed with a metal paint stripper i chipped away for about1 & 1/2hours & got to this stage with just the really sticky stuff left behind:

[​IMG]

Then i used loads of Tar remover & a plastic ice scrapper & after a few cycles of rubbing it in then using a new rag i got it all off:

[​IMG]

I then weighed all the stuff i had removed & it came to 1/3 of a KG which doesn't seem like much but that was quite a small area so im expecting a lot more than that when i do the rest.

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

keep up the good work [:D] i spoke to the cage man in risca (newport) i should be going to see him next week sometime and the other man in the night i will give you a bell when i go [:D]

13. kevh Forum Member

hi mike video is cracking m8 , cars comeing on well to , llandow soon ,get it on ther , you should be able to fly with all that weight loss , ;) paul

14. beastieboy Forum Member

Just out of curiosity why have you gone for a 4+E gearbox ? If its the one I'm thinking of its the same as fitted in my mk2 jetta 1.6tx. I thought 4thg would be too longand that you'd have been better off fitting a gti 5speed box ?

on another note, ace little car. It looks like it flies !

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Because i dont have to change gear so quick/often as the last box i had & it pulls like a train so doesn't have a problem with the longer gear.

& going off the mk1 clock in 4th is a laugh as i needed 5th before.

edit: all this was done for when it was used on the road +E and motorways were great but now that i'm trying to get it on track after a few goes i may be changing 4th & 5th.
    Edited by: fthaimike

16. vrooooom Forum Member

Thats lookin well smart now :thumbup:

I can't believe how long it took you to get that gunk off the roof though :lol: :lol: And you've started on the sound deadening now too :lol:

I'm still looking for a house with enough room for a big garage [:D] [:D] that's within my budget [:^(] [:^(]

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheers all, there might be an easier way of removing it but this just costs elbow grease [:D]........nah it's the stickiest sh*t on this planet :lol:.

Should be able to do some more Friday now unlessi amtied uppicking up & sorting the Seat Ibiza?

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

are these the holes you are on about mike

[​IMG]

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

aye to the left of that picture like swiss cheese :lol:

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right had a little bit of time on weekend so done this:

[​IMG]

I ran out of time to remove the glue so i will leave that till next time.

Ifound it easier using this tool:

[​IMG]

I think it's for lifting nails? anyway i found it easier to push under the stuff & pry it up or if it was a stubbornpiece i would use it upside down & push along & it would lift it easier.