Under bonnet heat shields

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

I was looking at some other 16valve golfs at the springfest,and noticed they had a rather large heat shield at back of engine, not the one on the bulkhead but about 3 inches in front of it. Does anyone known if that is a standard part and what part number. Also is there supposed to be a shield on exhaust manifold? I can see two bolts on it but no shield.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the upper one on the scuttle you mean? this is a standard 16v and GTD part, you can also find them on corrado 16v and you also need the 2 plastic clips which hold it at the bottom:

191803312 - upper heat shield
    191803340A - clip

3. Joehough

Thanks John, I think so, it looked like it attached on the lip that the rubber strip pushes onto that also secures the plastic tray that covers wiper linkage

4. Joehough

Yeah that's the one, they are bloody expensive, wonder if I can make one from one of those big thick foil sandwich trays

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

You could wrap the looms and pipes above the exhaust in heat protection tape if you're worried short time, keep an eye open for used parts. Not difficult to find really

6. Joehough

Just looked on eBay, just 2 new ones at the mo, I can feel a split along underside of servo pipe, but it is not leaking, must be a thick old pipe.