Upgrade headlight loom

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Oct 6, 2020.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

That's the set I have fitted. Works on both dip and high beam and as everyone has said it is light and day once they are fitted. Candles in the headlamps would do a better job than the original wiring....

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are no relays for the headlights at the fusebox, only the front fogs have one which switches power from the X relay.

so dip and main beam power comes from battery, thru ignition switch, thru headlight switch, thru flasher switch then finally back out to the lights. so any degradation of the contacts within those 3 switches plus corrosion on the old copper wiring drops your voltage. this is why relays are a great plan for both dipped and main beam, though for mains you dont use those so much and even with a little reduction in voltage they're still pretty bright so I guess not quite as critical.

another thing to look at is the actual lamps themselves, cheap crappy ones or old hellas with peeling chrome and pitted glass will also reduce the quality of light, new hella lamps are still available from gsf and ebay so no reason not to replace. wait for a decent discount day at gsf and they end up pretty cheap.

I used to do them but as I only used genuien hella plugs and terminals and top quality components didnt really make any money and wasnt worth my time, which I dont have much of any more :lol: there was a really great kit on ebay a fair while ago he would also include new spot lamp wiring to suit early or late but seems he's stopped doing now and only makes looms for vans

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

RJ as a matter of interest why does this upgrade (at least the one I installed) cause the parking lights to be bypassed? As soon as you hit position 1 on the switch it brings on the dims? I might have to keep disconnecting/reconnecting this for the Irish NCT (MOT) which is a bit of a ball-ache as otherwise I'll be hit with "faulty bulbs/faulty switch" nonsense

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  4. costel1969

Davkav do you have the same thing with your upgraded light loom - no parking light selection option - straight to dims on switch position 1

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It certainly should not.

Any of the ones I've made up, or others I've seen, the park lights work as per normal.

Unless you still have the dim/dip resistor thing in place still?

6. costel1969

Right what's that dip/dim resistor jobby you're mentioning Tristan - is that something you might see out in the engine bay by chance - I know there was some mention of the parking lights potentially not working after upgrade on the paperwork that came with the loom

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  7. Tristan

It's on the front end of the rhs chassis leg, a small cylinder with a few wires connected to it. Brilliant at starting small electrical fires.

If your park lights aren't working properly, it's a poorly constructed loom.

8. rubjonny

yup that'll be it, this powers your dipped beam dim with sidelights but the small voltage is still enough to trigger the relays. unplug at the 2 pin under airbox and launch into nearest bin

9. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

No my side lights work independent of the dims. As the lads have said unplug the resistor under airbox and it will sort it out.

10. costel1969

That's a big 10 4 - I will check this out and if that yoke is in there - it's getting launched

11. Juswant New Member

Hi All, I've upgraded my loom to give brighter lights from the headlights, but when I switch on the inner grill spot fog lamps,( they do switch on ) the headlights switchoff, what do I need to do to have all four lamps switched on (inner grill spot and headlights)?

12. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I made my loom so I have three relays, headlight low beam then two wired to high beam, one for main bulbs, and one for spotlights.
    Have you wired main beam just to spotlights and not the H4 headlight bulb?

13. Tristan

From vw, The spots were just looped off the hi beam.

14. rubjonny

i would recommend when you make these looms you use 3 fuses and relays, one per side for dipped beam and 3rtd for main beam (or go for 4 relays) that way if you loose a fuse or relay for ipped you dont loose all the lights at once. VW have seperate fuse each side for dip and main beam for this reason