Vag 3 cylinder engines.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dodgy, Aug 20, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Righty-o, just for amusement really, and thinking ahead towards future projects, I have a question regarding the 3 cylinder lumps, either the 1.2 petrol or the 1.4 tdi, normally found in the polo 9n onwards (and variations)
    In the normal car they are mounted in the mk4 golf way hung from the chassis front members, but do they still have tapped holes in the back of block similar to the 1.8t lump and so a mk2/3 bracket bolts up, obviously block length would be different so it wouldn't line up.
    Also from what I understand, the diesel polo gearbox (unsure regards petrol) has all of the holes in the bellhousing to bolt up to either large or small blocks, any confirmation welcomed.
    Plus driveshaft compatibility, polo/fabia are pretty much bang on for track width, and understand the 6 speed conversion is workable with vrs shafts on mk2 narrow track using vr6 hub flange (outer cv correct size) and 4mm spacer washer between shaft and hub.
    Basically its thinking of fitting a polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion engine in a mk2 or similar, or a more modern petrol engine, light body with an economical drive train.
    Admittedly it's all theoretical at present, but I had an S3 lump sat in the garage for best part of a year before finding a home for it, so planning is good.
    Input welcomed, cheers

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

dodgy likes this.