VCDS Lite + Ebay KKL cable

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Mk2Singh, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi all

I bought one of those cheap ebay KKL vagcom cables that said it'll work with VCDS-lite
    I cant seem to get it setup. Ive plugged in the cable and windows 10 seems to install a driver as it appears in device manager under the Ports tab as USB-SERIAL CH340
    Ive matched up the com ports so they are the same on the device manager and VCDS lite but every time I run the test, it says:
    Port Status: OK
    Interface: Not Found!

Does anyone have any experience with this ebay cables and using them with VCDS lite?
    I am trying to run this on my ABF converted mk2 thats running on oem managment

Please let me know

Thanks

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

3. GVK

4. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks for the link. Ive just tried installing that FTDI driver

Says Port Status: ok
    Interface: not found

But I need to plug it in the car and test as it should be connected to the car before testing

If anyone else has experience with windows 10 and these cables please let me know

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes thats exactly the message you will get if the cable isnt plugged into a car when you run a test ;)

I've got a ebay special cable and a win 10 lappy, all works fine on vcds-lite and the older vagcom 409.1 as well. main thing is getting the right driver for your cable and you're away

6. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay, will check in the car plugged in
    On the FTDI driver website it shows various different drivers. Is it the Virtual COM port driver I need? Thing is, whenever you plug in the cable, win 10 automatically installs the driver. So when I go to install the FTDI driver by just updating the driver it says that the driver installed is already up to date :S

John, which driver do you use?

Thanks

7. rubjonny

there are several drivers out there depending on which cable you have, but if you have your virtual com port listed in device manager its all good :)

8. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yea it comes under port tab on device manager. But I did try connected to the car and I was getting the error as above

9. rubjonny

OK, its possible the diagnostics port isnt working right. Do you have an immobiliser as sometimes they can fail preventing ECU communications even if they still talk to the ECU to allow immobiliser functionality to works

10. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yes it still has mk3 immobiliser with the key etc, The engine starts fine. Can it still be faulty?

11. rubjonny

yep I have seen them work fine but stop you from scannign the ecu. easy to test, unplug the immobiliser box and loop a wire between the 2 grey pins on the connector, this will allow you to talk direct to the ECU. This assumes the port is wired up correctly though ;)

12. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay will try to bypass the immobiliser box

I have the yellow and grey wire going from the odb port to the jumper block and then the grey wire from the Immobiliser box with the single plug going to the jumper block. Red from the obd port goes to cigarette lighter positive and brown to the earth claw next to fuse box. Does that sound correct?

Thanks

13. rubjonny

sounds right yep, just make sure the grey wire from the immobiliser is on the right side of the jumper, it needs to be on the same row as the grey/white from the port and that you have 12v between pin 16 and 4 on the port

14. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay will check this. Maybe/hopefully it is just the grey wire in the wrong row

15. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

Just to add if u have a CH34X kkl cable FTDI drivers are no good.and if u running a x64 win 10 the ch34X cables dont work only x86 systems. i got 4 ch34X and none work on win 10 x64 only win 10 x86 or lower...i have a link to the ft232rl kkl cable on my facebook group in sig.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  16. GVK

Good post Stewy

17. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've had my clone working on Windows 10 For the last 4 years
    I found that windows 10 didn't load the FTDI driver till I changed the settings to allow unassigned drivers don't know if that's the problem or not

Anyway this is the link to stewy's Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1942680162721827/

Stewy likes this.
  18. rubjonny

yeah often its just a signing issue, windows 10 is much more strict so you have to jump thru a couple hoops to get poorer quality driver packages to install. If you see the cable in device manager then usually the cable is installed ok, it helps if you have a known good car you can try and scan then you know for sure if the cable is ok or not.

or if you're lucky enough to have a serial port then no drivers are needed go for a basic serial KKL cable and you're away. these are the only type which will work with the ancient VDS DOS software if you want to start editing firmware on a MK4 CCM modules

19. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Update:
    So as rubjonny mentioned, I tried it on my daily (Mk1 TT) and it worked perfectly
    So went back and checked the power to the port and for some reason there was no power. Found that the radio fuse was blown and thats linked to the cig lighter which is where I tapped for positive to the port. Changed out the fuse and the Test worked and made connection! But then the immobilisor was blocking it from reading so jumped the two grey wires as suggested by Rubjonny and it worked perfectly!
    Its working fine on windows 10 if anyone is thinking of using it :) Just need to register VCDS lite as I dont get all the functions, Or is it not worth it?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

20. rubjonny

up to you really, if you register you get access to higher number measuring blocks (ABF goes nowhere near as high, only affects DBW onwards MK4) full coding functions such as matching immobiliser to ecu and fair few other bits and bobs.

the free version can scan your codes and measuring blocks which is all you'll need for casual ABF usage :)

if you need advanced stuff theres usually someone local with a cable who can do it for you, usually for less than the price of a licenced cable so have to weigh up the costs vs how often you'll need to use any of the advanced stuff