Video & data logging

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by daNpy, Jun 1, 2022.

1. daNpy Forum Member

Hi all,

as you might have seen I like to video the laps I do on the track and I also use RaceChrono on my phone to log the laps.
    Now others have nice videos with track position, speed and RPM dials etc. I am looking into getting that sorted for me too.

First of all a camera with GPS would help enormously. My Gopro 1 does not have that.
    New GoPro's do, but I found the Garmin VIRB 30 to have some extra features, we'll come to that later.
    A video from a camera with GPS can easily be imported into racechrono and then the dials can be added - or so I understood.

Now that's cool for everything coming from the GPS related data: position and speed.
    A RPM gauge and even better, throttle position bar would be even cooler. So I looked here and there and apparently the Garmin VIRB can log additional CAN channels. It can connect to a ODB dongle, and although my Golf 2 does not have ODB, the KMS computer outputs data on it's CAN bus.
    Racechrono should also be able to log CAN, but I didn't look into that really well.

What I found so far is I need following:
    Garmin VIRB 30 Ultra camera
    ODB dongle with Blutetooth 4.0
    ODB female connector to solder to the KMS-CAn wires
    Purchase Racechrono Pro for full editing mode

Am I going in the right way here? Any other people who got this working, one way or the other?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I asked a similar question on another forum, and various lads mentioned "Harrys Laptimer".

If you use Instagram or Facebook, Nige Pinder, with the Pinderwagen might have a good suggestion.

3. daNpy Forum Member

Looks there are several options indeed, but I'd have to dive into the details to see the differences as they appear to be doing more or less the same (what I want at least).
    Racechrono should also be able to log the CAN data when the OBD dongle is connected. A cam with just GPS is then sufficient.
    Still I'd have to get started on the car to see if I can get the CAN data to actually be read by the software on the phone :)
    KMS is friendly enough to send me the DBC file when needed, but I am kind of hoping the signals for throttle and RPM (and others) are standardized.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nige probably mentions it on his blog

5. daNpy Forum Member

Finally got the ODB plug and a female connector in last week. Tried today on the daily and the track addict app sees the signals :)
    Now busy with fitting an oil pressure sensor & meter so I'll add the connector for ODB2 in one go :)

6. daNpy Forum Member

Fitted the plug today and tried it, but no luck. The TrackAddict app nor RaceChrono see any signals (can't connect to vehicle).
    I suspect the apps are looking for a VIN to load the correct DBC file. As KMS most likely does not send a VIN, the app doesn't know what to load...

7. daNpy Forum Member

Well I checked and the lambda controller is not connector over CAN, but the analog channel. So there probably are no CAN messages on the bus I've connected to.
    Already pulled some new wires into the loom, will connect them next week as I need some new connectors :)

8. daNpy Forum Member

So the wires are now connected. I found some advanced settings in RaceChrono, which do not appear to be in TrackAddoct, on multiple levels.
    First I can make sure there is a connection with RC. That's there. When I connect via ODB; no luck. But the reason is simple, KMS sends out CAN signals, not ODB signals. There is a difference.
    Today I found a guide into RC handling actual CAN signals. I can connect the bluetooth dongle as CAN device, and then set the channels.
    KMS send me a file which I can partly read, I hoped enough to get at least something, but again no luck.

I got the CAN message ID, 028h or PID=40, both don't work. Also 029h or PID 41 has info I want to extract, but no luck either.
    When I type a message manually and use a equation (I guess it's BytesToUint();) I can get some output. The thing is, the position of the bytes with data in the message do not match, in whichever way I look at it.
    You can also use live data. There is no output, using different equations and different signals (rpm, coolant temp, air temp, voltage), BUT the green light on the dongle is flashing away continously.

So there is data traffic. However, I suspect the three leds on the dongle to be
    red: power (on)
    orange: data from car
    green: data request to car
    If the above is true, the KMS is still not sending data? But why is the green light flashing when the RC app should only be listening on the bus?

9. daNpy Forum Member

I contacted Nige, but he also doesn't have experience here.
    Today I had KMS on the phone for an hour, also no luck.

I opened a topic on RaceChrono, the guys there are also very helpful! And I need to check if the CAN messages are really coming through, so I'll try to get a can sniffer from work next week.