Vr6 - GTI Ball joint extenders (again..)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Pb81, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Notso Swift Forum Member

McGill stuff is great... for throttle linkages, maybe a ARB mount, but structual like that...

Even with quality rose joint, my experience on a mini suggests fully exposed I doubt that would last 1000km, no probs on track but no good on road

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

my radical sr8 front upper wishbone connects to the upright via a rod end, but an NMB rod end....

the bottom wishbone connects via a spherical bearing as used in the scch kit. thats the way to do it.

3. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Did we ever make any movement on this? I'd be interested and I reckon couple of other guys would be also.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

5. Pb81 Forum Member

I have no authorization to see the GB, can someone authorize me?

Btw i'm going to one more direction too, but i need some measurments from you guys since i'm living far from home these months.
    I'm playing with CAD and i'd need the measurmentes in red in the picture, MK3 VR6/GTI version, hole distances and base thickness.
    Can someone help me?

Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Group buys are for paid members only. Pay your 10 to save much more. :thumbup:

7. Pb81 Forum Member

That's what i just did :thumbup:
    Is it automatic now?

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Good man.
    No, it takes a few days, but I'll add you so long. What do you want to order?

9. Pb81 Forum Member

I'm interested in bj group buy, i'd like to have some information, could you give me some infos via pm?
    Thanks

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

PM incoming

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Or not. You're over your PM limit.

12. Pb81 Forum Member

Again available, thanks!

Edit:
    But will they produce the 5studs version? I can see only 4 studs chassis products..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  13. Pb81 Forum Member

I have de design, i'm trying to get some quotes here in rome, now the question:
    How many people interested in VR6 extenders?
    Do you know some honest machiner to get quote too?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  14. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nice level lower arms with the rose jointed track rod ends upside down for improved bump steer.

15. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but dont you want the arms pointing down? especially when there is not an engine in the car yet?

i thought that the idea is the arms be straight in a 'bump' situation.
    if the arms are straight with no weight in the car, they will be pointing upwards with weight in or in a bump, which would result in toe out and bump steer.

arent the arms meant to be level at or close to the top of the suspensions travel?

just a thought...

16. mec82 Forum Member

The ideal thing to do is drop the ball joint as low as possible, regardless of the Wishbone angle.

I would design extenders to drop the joint as low as possible while fitting inside the smallest wheel space. For most people this will be a 15" wheel.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

The arms want to be level at the average point of suspension travel when the car is being used. At this point there is minimum camber change. Same reason why single seaters have very long wishbones - minimum amount camber change per unit of deflection. So this is going to need a downward pointing wishbone under static conditions.

18. mec82 Forum Member

Good point but not sure id totally agree with that,mcpherson strut loses camber under bump.We need all the camber we can get so starting at the lowest possible position seems a best option to me

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

19. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

But on the picture above, the wishbones are level without an engine in the car. Once you fit that, they`ll be pointing up (from the subframe to the hub) which you don`t want. Cornering will make it even worse.

I must admit, I missed that when I saw the photo yesterday, good spot twolitrepinto

20. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

So we are saying that ideally I want the lower arms pointing down, when under its own weight with the engine in?

Handling should be improved now then compared to my original set up because they were pointing up a lot more when under its own weight with the engine before the extensions were fitted.

With a 110kg bloke standing on the chassis legs the car only dropped about 10mm.

So therefore if the lower arms stay in the current position with the engine in, in a "bump" situation the steering arms will become level so the bump steer effect will be resolved.

And even if it doesn't reach the ideal position of the lower arms it is still much much closer to this position than I was before therefore it will improve my handling?

Interesting facts and although my set up won't reach the ideal position I will be much closer to them than what I was originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015