VR6 intermediate shaft timing

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by bonus85, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bonus85 Forum Member

Short story question: is it ok to rotate the intermediate shaft independently?

Long story question : I just replaced the head gasket, before doing so I followed a guide which said to line up the timing mark on the balancing pulley, the cam slots, and the crank chain pulley to get tdc. All good. Nothing about the intermediate shaft.

While the head (and top chain) was off I rotated the engine round to check the bores. I thought I'd returned to tdc before torquing the head back on. On replacing the bottom chain, I noticed the intermediate sprocket had marks on and was pointing to 3pm. I checked it with another manual, which said it should be at 12 or 6pm.

I went ahead and just rotated it in the running direction back to 12 o clock independently with the chain off.

However its really bothering me now. Is that OK? All marks show lined up and look good, timing chains fit nicely and locking plate is still on the cams. I haven't rotated it all round.

I'm concerned the engine isn't a true tdc. And that the intermediate shaft plays some further role in engine timing sensors. And also why would it have been off 90 degs into the first place? Engine was running perfectly before and I don't think the chains have ever been replaced.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Kieran Murray New Member

I believe the intermediate shaft spins one and a quarter every time the crank does one roatation, this is why when you check your timing , four turns is required, the intermediate shaft can be spun by itself to its timing mark, im doing my timing atm but somehow my exhauts cam sprocket isnt clocking all the way, any ideas?