Vw 16v dizzy mechanical advance

Discussion in '16-valve' started by pyle, Aug 11, 2018.

1. pyle New Member

Can you please break down idle advance, mechanical advance and total advance on a slightly modified engine. Most run 6-8 degree idle, what does that translate to at high rpm?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. pyle New Member

In that case is there any actual difference if you advance or retard the ignition by say 3 degrees in the advanve curve up to max rpm?

4. GVK

When you adjust the distributor it will change the whole advance curve, yes.

5. pyle New Member

Okay then is it know, say 2 degrees of advance at idle how much would that be at 6500 lets say? Would a KR dizzy fit and work on an ABF ecu and would I be able to advance the timing successfully without remapping?

6. GVK

Very much doubt it.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the ABF distributor is used for cylinder 1 reference, if you mess with it you'll just confuse the ECU. if you want an ABF ECU re-maped properly you talk to a pro such as Eddie/Toyotec, or swap to aftermarket managment

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Or the third alternative is the old 'clockwork' setup which uses weights and springs and centrifugal force.
    Proper 1960's stuff.
    Works for me though...
    Cheap, cheerful
    Jon

9. pyle New Member

I installed a dizzy from a Seat ADL it work I can feel it, but from what I understand the knock sensors only give about 5 degree advance/retard so not a massive difference.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have made the ignition independent of the ECU for simplification, avoiding this type of problem
    Jon

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ADL dizzy is the same as a KR/9a one, 4 trigger windows. The ABF dizzy has 1 window and is only used so the ECU knows where cylinder 1 is from the crank sensor signal.

What you have probably done is put the ECU into batch fire mode as it cannot make sense of the cam position signal from the ADL dizzy...

if you want to adjust the ignition map properly, you need to get the ecu mapped. on the cheap end of the scale there are some generic chips on ebay, but they'll never be as good as a proper remap