VW Bolt thread size?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by MJA, Mar 17, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I need a couple of these but don't want to pay £10 inc post each! These are M10x24 for the rear of the subframe on mk3s and corrados PN N10257501

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/n10257501-front-subframe-bolt.html

Do VW bolts have a unique thread and would these work in its place? I know 1mm extra length but could grind back if needed but I am sure it is just going into the box section of the chassis.

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/...ews-high-tensile-grade-8-8-bright-zinc-plated

Cheers

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

At a guess I'd say the original would be 10.9 tensile strength and not the 8.8 of the alternative.

Do you have the original still, the thread pitch can be obtained using a one of the simple gauges available?

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Yep, 8.8 are not what the factory spec should be…also zinc passivated are much more resilient to rust than bright Zinc plated bolts.

4. MJA

I've still got the old bolt but head rusted. I dont know much about bolts- will look up thread tool.

Are there any alternative suppliers for bolts?

5. Zender Z20

Sounds like you're going through what I did a while back... Yes, you can save quite a bit by sourcing alternatives to the VW ones, but you really need to know the exact spec. to do it... primarily for safety, but also fit.

Westfieldfastners are good and there's a few on eBay I used, will stick up their names when I have a look.

There were some I had to just fork out VW prices for, alternatives weren't available

MJA likes this.
  6. Zender Z20

Kayfast1 / spalding_fasteners and boltbase... You'll definitely get the more mundane nuts bolts etc. from a combination of all the above for much less than VW prices.

7Zap was useful... quite often they'll give the specs. and occasionally even the thread pitch.

I've this in my wallet, card sized... found it invaluable.

16475553373853734150672382491551.jpg

MJA likes this.
  7. MJA

Thanks! That does look useful!

I have shelled out for so many bolts following the parts guides but figured there must be a better way in at least some circumstances. This particular bolt doesnt even exist on the mk2 so assume its been added for some alignment type reason (its no 35 on the parts diagram)

8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Funny I'm reading this after watching the Vintage Voltage BMW Batmobilerep restoration and conversion.
    Noted old nuts and bolts being re-used without being fettled. Not sure if they were for the final fit or not.

Back to your original query.
    Does your local VW dealer stock them? Sometimes they aren't hugely expensive compared to profiteers on ebay etc.
    Aside from rust is there a reason for not cleaning-up the originals and re-treating?
    The lazy cheap method I've used is to use dilute molasses and soak for a couple of weeks.....yes a packet of molasses granuals from your local supermarket will do the biz (check You Tube). Clean with a stiff brush then treat as required.

MJA likes this.
  9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As long as you’ve got the tensile strength the same, 90% of VW bolts are standard M10/M12. The sump bolts/ thermostat bolts on a 1.8t are M7x1 tho. Fine thread and weird size.

MJA likes this.
  10. MJA

Oh yes I have stuck my old bolts where savable in the ultrasonic cleaner and manually tidied them up. Its only the heads that get rusty i have found. Unfortunately these ones needed to be taken out with the irwin set.

I guess what I am looking for ultimately is building up knowledge so I can get a set up of bolts that I can store for cases like this and not stop works.

11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It comes with time, I can look at most bolts and tell you the size and thread pitch :lol:

MJA likes this.
  12. MJA

I've now got this enroute in the post [:D] Cheers!

13. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

+1 for Westfield Fasteners, I've used them a few times.