VW Motorsport Inspired 020 Shifter Build: Improving the Gear shift Mechanism

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Admin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. PeoplesCar Forum Member

I'll be waiting for your test results smudge - hope it all goes well.

:thumbup:

2. Admin Guest

You may be waiting some time :lol: I have removed the old shifter today and drilled the tunnel - rivenutted and fitted, all good so far.
    But im going skiing next weekend and still have bits to make, I also have the car to MOT and a fair few more little mods that need doing to her before she is back on the road after her winter tinkering, testing will comence properly in the summer at a guess. :thumbup:

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thats just beautiful.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

what's 3D printing , btw?

5. caterday New Member

3D printing Is "printing" and object. Its a really cool technology

Great work on the shifter! do you have any rough measurements for your design?

6. barny Forum Member

Very nice, like that a lot!

7. Admin Guest

I have finished the engine bay mechanisms, they need to be tested in car but should be correct according to my calculations; there is a buffer of adjustment built in to them so I can play around with the throw once in the car.

These parts have taken a fair bit of time to design and make, they utilise the OEM bracket which has made life a lot simpler, I have a spacer on one of the rose joints, this may or may not be required but i put it on there just in case.
    DSC04168.jpg DSC04169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
    erreesse likes this.
  8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Tom, your not just an engineer or fabricator. Your a bloomin artist!

Gurds

9. Admin Guest

Thanks, I must confess, I am not an engineer and never want to be (far to hung up on function). I'm a designer maker through and through. These are phrases I have strangely pondered over the latest couple of days [:$]. Anyway, it's all about form and function for me...if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well and you must make it look good too :thumbup:

10. Tall Paul Forum Member

That''ll make you an engineer then!:thumbup:

This engineer appreciates the quality and aesthetics of what you've done.

11. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Has anybody used or know where to get custom cables made up for the motorsport shifter? I have some but they were for a 6 speed Gemini front wheel drive box. Now running an Audi TT 4wd box and they are a bit short.

HELP?

Cheers

Mike

12. babbe Forum Member

make them longer by using long nuts, i had to do that on my ibiza as the cabels where from a golf 2 and i sit alot further back

[​IMG]

13. Admin Guest

Midwest control will be your best bet for cables I would think.

Clicky!

14. Admin Guest

I had the gear shifter in to test it a couple of weeks ago, all was good, so i then stripped the front footwells of tar and painted the inside of the car,
    IMG_2035.jpg

After leaving to harden for a week i set about fitting the gearshifter yesturday, it will be heavily tested before I am satisfied with it, I may make one two changes further. Once happy I will send it away to get anodised to finish it off. Here are a few pics of it, as you can imagine the shift is very precise, there is no play and the action is snick snick slick. ATM the throw is set to about just less than a third of the original but can be reduced further very easily anytime i like, so i will try it out now the car is back up and running and I will go from there.

TAC_Racing_Gearshifter_prototype_03.jpg TAC_Racing_Gearshifter_prototype_01.jpg TAC_Racing_Gearshifter_prototype_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
    boroko and erreesse like this.
  15. ericthedog New Member

shifter

hi are these for sale yet???

16. Admin Guest

Hi this is just a one off for myself and I thought people would be interested in the thread. The shifter has worked well on track for the last few months and is going strong. Still need to get it anodised once I'm 100% happy that it's up to the job.

17. liamrus New Member

hi there i know this is really cheeky but im attempting to make one of these myself while doing my engineering degree i dont suppose you have any drawings saved that i may use as reference to a basic design i can play with.

18. magun dhedhi New Member

Hello.

I saw this old post.
    I was wondering how did you make a shifter work with rods instead of cables?

19. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

great work
    Jon

20. boroko

boroko Paid Member Paid Member

This project is quite an inspiration. Thank you for sharing it, and I'm glad someone commented on it recently, or I would have never seen it. I actually grabbed the pictures in case they go missing. I had never thought about doing that with a linkage type system, it would nicely open up the tunnel. I might attempt this (if I ever get caught up on all the other things on the rally car :-) ). Now I just have to do some serious measurements and maths... especially to understand the change in shift pattern.
    Seriously nice work.