VW Motorsport shifters and shifter towers

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by A.N. Other, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

Similar to a full scale prototype I made a few years ago when I was going to go 02A - im staying 020 so never went any further with it.
    DSC00537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  2. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

Awesome wood work there mate
    Well done you

3. nass Forum Member

Adrenalin tuning selling these bad boys for the 02A/02M

4. tornadored2er New Member

What shifter cable bracket is being used?

I'm referring to the bracket that holds the cables in place atop the gearbox.

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Very similar to what i#m milling out too. The only issue is cables is you can't modify/re-use the originals, although it is easily possible

6. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I have done a lot of work on the cables recently and found they are boat control cable with a modified clamping , there are 2 sizes used 33C for the shift across the box and a 40XL for up and down gears , The shifter i have made is all done and with with stainless bases , just doing test fits and making cable brackets :-) when i have the time

Bit i am stuck on is trying to find decent cable ends , Telefex do some , but some are discontinued and i an not using the quick release items , they look prone to failure

7. tornadored2er New Member

Please forgive my ignorance but the last two posts have confused me. I recently brought an All Smiles Motorsport shifter setup. It came with the shifter, tower, knob & cables. I know I need to fab up a couple of cable stays to hold the cables in place inside the cabin. I'm just trying to figure out if I can use the stock vr6 o2a shifter cable bracket that bolts to the top of the gearbox??

6252082476_07b04d7c00_z.jpg

8. RyanMac Forum Member

are you making one hotgolf......I am currently building one aswell for my raddo...just mocking it up at the moment before starting the machining.

9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, I've been lucky though, I have one to copy lol

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

How many you making Mart?;)

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Yes, Do tell...;)

12. tornadored2er New Member

Hello,

Is it possible to use an o2j shift tower & receiver along with my all smiles motorsport shifter basically to take advantage of the many short shifter setups for the o2j?

For example, the sigma o2j short shifter from dieselgeek...

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_short_shift_kit_p/ss-sigma5.htm

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This depends on the cables and how the dieselgeek attachments fit to which cable.

The All Smiles shifter from recollection uses standard cables?

14. steve r

steve r Forum Member

All Smiles shifter requires custom cables
    15072008011.jpg

The shifts with the linkage on the side can use the standard cables:

cae-ultra-shifter_7~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2018
  15. tornadored2er New Member

I'm running aftermarket cables with threaded on female rod ends. I'm pretty sure I can remove the female rods ends from one side of the cables & thread on the dieselgeek attachments. What I wanted to know is if I would have problems getting the shifter to properly select gears using the mish mash of the all smiles shifter, o2j tower & cable bracket on my o2a corrado gearbox?

16. richard h New Member

I have an 02j shifter in the car with o2j cables diesel geek ends on to essentially o2 j shift tower and selector rod( they are audi tt parts,which in essence give a slightly shorter shift anyway) the shift is short, direct and crisp the gearbox is 02a running the 6 speed gemini kit the only thing i cant give an answer to is the cables

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thinking about this some more, I'm a bit confused why you're looking at the diesel geek idea for short shifter set ups, if you've got ball ends on the cables already.

This is posted on the previous page, a genuine VW Motorsport-supplied part for 02A spec, which is easily replicable with the data I posted. This is what I run, and I'm not looking to run anything else.

Why throw away the ball ends? Convert back to 02A, and it can be done in situ.

18. steve r

steve r Forum Member

As above, I made my own for my all smiles shifter.

Cut the end off the O2A arm. Drill a new hole and bolt the shifter eye end on. Short shift for free :)
    IMGP2482.jpg IMGP2488.jpg IMGP2492.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  19. tornadored2er New Member

Richard & Steve thanks for the replies & info... I'll be duplicating the vwms arm & call it done.

20. RyanMac Forum Member

hey hotgolf how you getting on with your shifter? I have finished drawing mines up in catia and have made a mock up so hopefully over christmas I will get it machined out.

Did you use cables? I have made mines up with rods but id does require the bulkhead to be drilled and and a new cover for the centre console made up.